Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 6 E 23 DNA Is Thick Than Water
The Dark Turtles attack the heroes at Cody's penthouse, but Dark Leo's brothers don't want to follow his plan. With the fight spiraling out of their control, Dark Leo makes a rash decision and saves Cody at his own expense. As the other Dark Turtles flee, the heroes decide to take Dark Leo in and heal his wounds.
This episode provides examples of
- A Day in the Limelight: This is the first and only episode to feature the Dark Turtles (or at least one of them) as a main character rather than a villain.
- Bullying The Dragon: To prove that he was doing better, Raph starts taunting Dark Leo. The latter gets so mad that he destroys some equipment, which almost crushes the former.
- Character Development: It's implied that Dark Leo turned into an Anti-Villain by the end.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Darius had the Dark Turtles given post-hypnotic commands to keep them in line/Darius: You can't hurt me. I, on the other hand, can hurt you.
- Easily Forgiven: Subverted. Even though most of the Turtles acknowledge Dark Leo saved Cody and are appreciative, they still intended to turn him over to the proper authorities after he healed up.
- Evil Is Dumb: Dark Raph and Mikey.
- The Farmer and the Viper: The main plot of the episode revolves around this. Played with however, since although Dark Leo does go back to his brothers and turn his back on the Turtles, it's shown at the end that his time with the Turtles has affected him, and even changed him a little for the good.
- To drive this point home, Leo tells his counterpart "The Scorpion and The Frog" parable.
- Genre Savvy: Leo had his suspicions about Dark Leo and set up a Secret Test of Character. He also suspects Dark Leo is more conflicted than he's willing to let on.
- Good Feels Good: Discovered by Leonardo's dark clone.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dark Leo puts himself between Cody and his brother's laser, thus saving Cody from getting killed. Of course it's revealed that he did this to get on the original turtles' good side.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Raph assumes that Dark Leo was trying to get them to lower their guard around him.
- Darius notes the Dark Turtles waste more time fighting each other than their common enemies.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Dark Turtles.
- Pet the Dog: At the end, Darius Dun gives the Dark Turtles another piece of steak to fight over even though they failed to destroy the real Turtles for him.
- Speaking of that scene, Dark Leo decides to split the meat among his brothers rather than eat it for himself.
- Properly Paranoid: Raph voices his distrust towards Dark Leo throughout the episode. Despite the others trying to be hospitable to him, he was right all along.
- The Psycho Rangers: The Dark Turtles.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: During his fight with Leo, Dark Leo recalls what Darius once told the Dark Turtles:"Idiots! Worthless biological trash!"
- Save the Villain: Rather than let him die a slow death, the Turtles bring Dark Leo in the apartment to recover.
- Secret Test of Character: Leo left the shield control within Dark Leo's grasp to see what he'd do.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: "I already know what I am! I AM A SCORPION!"
- Took a Level in Kindness: Even though Dark Leo intended on using the Turtles' trust to destroy them, he uses their lesson in sharing and applies it to his own brothers.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Leo genuinely believes that most people will be the best they can be if given the chance. He still tries to reason with Dark Leo even after he's betrayed them.
- Would Hurt a Child: Dark Don fully intended to kill Cody. He probably would have too, if Dark Leo hadn't stepped in the way of his energy beam