Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 6 E 22 Head Of State
Bishop calls the Turtles for help: someone is trying to get rid of him, and if he goes the Pan-Galactic Alliance falls apart too. For the sake of the world the Turtles must protect Bishop and find out who's after him, before it's too late
This episode provides examples of
- Absentee Actor: Splinter, Cody, and Serling.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Bishop's entire view of aliens changed because a former captive saved his life. He admits he tried to pretend it was just a fluke, but he couldn't stop thinking about it, so it slowly caused a change of heart.
- Call Back: All the way to Season 1, with the Organic Mousers.
- Dark Secret: Bishop's past is this to the Pan-Galactic Alliance at large.
- Didn't See That Coming: The captive alien saving Bishop's life instead of killing him.
- Flashback: Of Bishop's history and why he changed.
- Heel–Face Turn: The episode is devoted to showing that Bishop truly has changed—a result of one of his alien captives showing him mercy instead of exacting revenge. The ending shows Stockman has also changed.
- Lampshade Hanging: Raph again finds the future to be a strange place.
"I just don't get this place. Bishop's a good guy, we save our arch-villain, Baxter Stockman, from becoming a crispy critter, and giant Mousers are gonna work on a farm?! The future gives me a headache!"
- Left for Dead: Stockman, about 50 years before the events of this episode, leading to a desire for revenge.
- Pet the Dog: Literally and figuratively. Bishop saves Stockman's life and gently taps his eye while holding him.
- Revenge: Stockman's reason for attacking Bishop. He also doesn't mind settling his score against the Turtles, either.
- Save the Villain: The alien in the flashback rescues Bishop from the exploding lab. Bishop rescues Stockman from the collapsing lair.
- The Slow Path: Stockman got to 2105 this way, thanks to grafting alien DNA to his brain.
- Small Role, Big Impact: The alien that saved Bishop's life is unnamed and gets no dialogue, but the status quo of 2105 is the result of his actions.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Bishop
- Taught by Television: Mikey pretends to be a bull fighter and prompts an Organic Mouser to charge him by taunting it with a red drape. He figures it always works on cartoons, so it should work for him.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Stockman finally gets a happy ending.
- What You Are in the Dark: The captive alien could've killed Bishop or left him to die, and no one would have known. Instead, he chose to save Bishop.
- You Monster!: Leo points out that in Bishop's world, nobody's considered a monster based on their appearance, only based on how they act, and asks Stockman if he wants to use his inventions to create or destroy. Stockman later chooses to create after Bishop, being the changed man he is in Fast Forward, rescues him to make up for his failure to save him some time in the past, which no doubt led to his redemption.