This episode provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: This episode focuses on Raph and his adventure away from his brothers.
- Continuity Cameo/ Mythology Gag: Tyler's mother seems to be a composite character of the 1987 cartoon version of April, and Irma Langinstein.
- Determinator: Tyler is determined to save his mother, with or without help from Raph.
- Evil Power Vacuum: The mobsters reveal that with the Shredder gone a gang war is on its way.
- Innocuously Important Episode: The episode introduces the mobster characters who'll make up one of the three factions in next season's "City at War" three-parter.
- Insistent Terminology: Tyler gets angry whenever Raph calls him "kid".
- Letting the Air Out of the Band: When Raph calls himself "Green Vengeance", the music deflates when one of the head mobsters replies with "'Green Vengeance'? Wha'?"
- Oh Crap!: The Mobster with the tie does this when Raph reveals that his Temporary Blindness is over by insulting said tie;Mobster: Wha- You can see?
Raphael: I can see. Though, looking' at you, I'm kinda missing the blind thing!
- Shout-Out: The title of the episode is a reference to the manga Lone Wolf and Cub. Tyler is even seen watching the movie (one of them, at least) during his flashback.
- Temporary Blindness: Raph, for a good half of the episode.
- Would Hurt a Child: The mobsters fully intend to take Tyler out, and they probably would have too, if Raph hadn't intervened.