"I see you have a Tamaranean."
—Val-Yor (treating Starfire like the Titans' pet)
"There will always be people who say mean words because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. But there are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. Those are the people whose words truly matter."
Val-Yor, a hero from another planet, enlists the help of the Titans to fight the Locrix: a mechanical race bent on galactic domination. Despite his heroism, however, Val-Yor turns out to be prejudiced against Tamaraneans and treats Starfire with disdain. This is missed by Titans at first, as they do not realize that Val-Yor's nickname for Starfire is in fact a racial slur; and even when Cyborg eventually discovers the truth and tells Robin, Starfire refuses to let them do anything about it until their mission is complete. She finally stands up for herself when Val-Yor tries to leave her behind while the rest of the team infiltrates the home planet of the Locrix. Not only does she participate in the mission, she accompanies Val-Yor into the Locrix headquarters and winds up saving his life. With their mission over, Robin demands that Val-Yor apologize. Val-Yor makes an attempt to do so, but succeeds only in delivering a backhanded compliment
to Starfire. The Titans point out that his apology is no less offensive than his original insults and ask Val-Yor to leave. He does so, deciding that Earthlings may be just as bad as Tamaraneans.
- Aliens Are Bastards: The Locrix are bent on galactic domination. And of course, Val-yor himself is nowhere near as nice as he initially acts.
- Discriminate and Switch: Cyborg.
Starfire: You know how it feels to be judged just because of how you look?
Cyborg: Of course I do. I'm part robot.
- Exact Words:
Cyborg: I thought you said it didn't mean anything.
Starfire: No — I said it means, "nothing."
- Fantastic Racism: Val-Yor, against Tamaraneans. Note that he fails to notice any irony in the fact that one of the reasons he hates the Locrix for their own Fantastic Racism against "organics."
- It's not the same thing. The Locrix wanted to destroy "organics" and Val-Yor never tried to destroy any Tamaraneans. He hates them but limits his demonstrations of hatred to insults and the expressed desire not to be anywhere near them.
- Fantastic Slurs: To call someone a "troq" is to call them "nothing" or "worthless."
- "Crixies," Val-Yor's term for the Locrix, might also be one—or at least meant as one.
- Final Solution: Both the Locrix's plan for all organic life forms and Val-Yor's plan for the Locrix.
- Innocently Insensitive: Cyborg calls Starfire "Troqie" before he understands what it means. This leads Starfire to explain that it is a racial slur.
- Master Race: The Locrix wish to exterminate all organic life.
- Mechanical Lifeforms: The Locrix.
- Very Special Episode: About racism, naturally.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When the Titans find out about Val-Yor's Fantastic Racism.
- You Are a Credit to Your Race: When Val-Yor said that Starfire is "one of the good ones," none of the Titans took it well.