Recap: Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 6 Identity Crisis
It seems like a normal day in the life of Superman: saving a boy who climbed a tower on a dare and couldn't get down, stopping a car full of criminals fleeing the police, rescuing Clark Kent when he falls off a cliff....Clark stares in bafflement as "Superman" makes a date with Lois that evening and flies off. He breaks away to chase the duplicate and get some answers. The duplicate insists that he is Superman... except that he looks and sounds less and less like the original, his skin turning white and blocky as his speech becomes simple-minded.After the confrontation between the two Supermen, the duplicate heads the mountain laboratory where he was created as part of Lex Luthor's plan to create Superman clones loyal to him.
This episode contains examples of:
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Played for laughs when the clone Superman gives a speech about dares and courage to a group of kids. Their reactions are mixed.
- Because I'm Jonesy: "Superman" shows up to rescue Clark Kent, making it clear that he's a fake.
- Clone Degeneration: Bizarro was a passable duplicate of Superman at first, but his appearance and intellect quickly take turns for the worse.
- Destructive Savior: Bizarro "saves" a building (that is being demolished) by tossing a crane aside and repairs a "broken" bridge (that was being raised to let a ship through) by forcing the halves back down and welding them together. Fortunately, Superman is able to prevent the disasters nearly caused by these acts.
- Heroic Sacrifice: After Bizarro realizes that he isn't Superman, he holds up the roof of Luthor's collapsing lab so the real Superman can get Lois out of there before a bomb powerful enough to destroy even Superman goes off.Bizarro: Me no am Superman. You am Superman. Superman save Lois.
- Hulk Speak: As part of the Clone Degeneration, Bizarro's speech devolves from normal conversation into simple grammatically garbled statements.
- In the Blood: Morality Inverted. When Superman comments that Bizarro "had a good heart", Lois responds, "Of course. He came from good stock."
- There Was a Door: Played with. Bizarro crashes through the restaurant wall when bringing Lois along on their "date". When they leave, Lois asks him to use the door, so Bizarro crashes through that instead.