- Achilles' Heel: This is the first time that Kryptonite appears in the series, and is promptly identified as Superman's only weak point.
- Bad Boss: As far as Luthor's concerned, the debris of an alien planet's only value is how he can use it to humiliate Superman. He berates a scientist working for him for suggesting otherwise.
- Bodyguard Babes: Lex Luthor is shown to have one of those.
- Chekhov's Lecture: The museum guide's lecture about a civilisation wiped out by "metallic poisoning"...aka lead poisoning.
- Chekhov's Skill: Lois being able to make baskets with paper wads. It comes in handy later to neutralize the Kryptonite.
- The End... Or Is It?: In the next-to-last scene, Supes throws the lead-encased chunk of Kryptonite into space. In the very last scene, a Luthor-sponsored team searches for more of the green rocks, and the camera pans to show one lying nearby.
- Kryptonite Factor: Yep.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Luthor uses a mechanical replica with a piece of Kryptonite in its mouth to attack Superman.
Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 1 E 5 A Little Piece Of Home
Superman interrupts a robbery at Lex Luthor's new Natural History museum. He has an easy time of it, even toying with the robbers a bit — until he suddenly gets weak and keels over, allowing the robbers to escape. Luthor, reviewing the security tapes, notices that it happened when Superman stood in front of a display containing an odd green rock. He sees an opportunity to get the hero out of his way, permanently.This episode provides examples of the following tropes: