Recap: Superman The Animated Series S 1 E 4 Fun And Games
Superman faces his first direct supervillain threat, as Winslow Scott Jr. seeks to exact revenge as the DCAU's reinterpretation of Toyman. The Toyman first comes to Superman's attention when he attacks Bruno Mannheim, a local gangster, but the situation soon escalates when he kidnaps Lois.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Averted. Toyman tries to suffocate Superman with a toy that is actually a living organism. It doesn't work, but it's hinted that it is a real danger.
- Creepy Monotone: Toyman.
- Damsel in Distress: Lois, naturally. Of course, that doesn't mean she takes it lying down.
- Freudian Excuse: The Toyman spent most of his childhood going from foster home to foster home after his father took the fall for Mannheim.
- Hyper-Destructive Bouncing Ball: the Toyman creates one that can even damage steel.
- Karma Houdini: Mannheim.
- Psychopathic Man Child: Toyman.
- Save the Villain: Mannheim, on whom Toyman sought to exact revenge.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Lois feels sorry for Toyman after hearing his backstory.
- You Killed My Father: Toyman wants to avenge his father. His father was imprisoned, not killed, but he spent the rest of his life there.