Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 21 When It Rains
The Battle of Chintoka was a total disaster, but the survival of a single Klingon ship might point to a possible countermeasure to Breen weaponry. Even better, General Martok is due to be inducted into the Order of Kahless by Chancellor Gowron himself. However, when the Chancellor decides to take a more active role in the war, it could spell doom for the Klingon forces. On Bajor, things have gotten icy between Kai Winn and Dukat, and when he takes a peek into the text of the Pah Wraiths, it costs him more than his eyesight. Meanwhile, Bashir attempts to find a cure for the morphogenic virus afflicting Odo, and Colonel Kira goes behind enemy lines to assist Damar's resistance movement.
Tropes in this episode:
- Eye Scream: Dukat learns the hard way that reading forbidden literature can be bad for your eyes.
- Field Promotion: A variation—Kira is given a Starfleet commission in the hopes that the Cardassians will be more comfortable working with Starfleet, rather than the Bajoran Militia.
- Glory Hound: Gowron wants the renown for himself, so he "promotes" Martok and steps in to steal leadership.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Kai Winn throws out a blinded Dukat to beg on the streets.
- Kicked Upstairs: Gowron gives Martok a huge honor...so he can take his position and net himself some battlefield glory.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Gowron himself. Canny politician, crummy tactician.
- The Starfleet admins who won't let Bashir have the information he needs to cure the changeling's disease. (Then again, Section 31 is involved...)
- Oh, Crap: Ross' reaction to Sisko telling him that they'll have to do the palm-slicing at Martok's ceremony.