Season 3, Episode 1
The Heart of the Truest Believer
As Emma, Mary Margaret, David, Regina, Mr. Gold and Hook enter Neverland to search for a kidnapped Henry, they're greeted by a school of not-too-friendly mermaids who threaten to end their search before it begins; Henry finds himself on the run from the Lost Boys with another escapee from Peter Pan's encampment; and Neal, recovering from his wounds, travels through the Enchanted Forest with Mulan in an attempt to learn the fates of Emma and Henry.
- Book Ends: The first few minutes of the premiere features Emma giving birth to Henry and then saying that she didn't want him because she believes she can't be a mother. The last few minutes of the story between Emma, Hook, Snow, Charming, and Regina features Emma proclaiming that her role in the group besides still being the savior is being Henry's mother.
- Call Back: Gold kills Tamara in the same way he killed Milah many years before, and both instances were related to him righting a wrong done to his son. May have not been an intentional reference, but it was very similar.
- Disc One Final Boss: After a great deal of buildup around Greg and Tamara being the villains of Season 3, they're unceremoniously dispatched by the real Big Bad long before the end of the first episode.
- Although this was spelled out at literally the last minute of Season 2 ("They're merely pawns being manipulated by forces greater than they can conceive. They have no idea who they're truly working for.")
- Genius Loci: The weather around Neverland reacts to emotional turmoil and violence. When Snow White, Charming, Regina and Hook all start squabbling, a storm brews up in response which nearly kills them all.
- Heel Realization: Hook and Regina share a moment where they both muse on the likelihood that they won't get a happy ending because of all the bad things they've done.
- I Lied: What the head Lost Boy tells Greg and Tamara when they expect Peter Pan to fulfill the agreement and destroy all magic.
- I Never Told You My Name: Word for word by Henry to Peter Pan.
- Instant Costume Change: Mr. Gold instantly switches to his Rumpelstiltskin costume and throws down his cane, no longer needing it in Neverland.
- I Work Alone: Upon arriving in Neverland, Rumpelstilstkin promptly vanishes to go find Henry and defeat Pan all by himself.
- Not So Abandoned Building: Rumpelstiltskin's castle in the Enchanted Forest has been stripped clean of anything valuable by looters (except for what has been magically hidden) and now Robin Hood is using the conveniently empty fortress as a base.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Mermaids in Neverland are strong and vicious enough to sink ships.
- Retcon: The scene of Henry's birth here contradicts the tie-in novel Reawakened.
- Shout-Out: Neal tells Mulan that there is a movie about her in our world.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Baelfire may have been born before Rumpelstiltskin became the dark one, but he can still access and manipulate the magical enchantments his father left behind. Bael says his father called it "blood magic".
- Taken for Granite: Regina petrifies a hostile mermaid after being denied the chance to kill her.
- Taking You with Me: Rumpelstiltskin is still convinced his mission to find Henry will cost him his life, and cheerfully informs the Lost Boys that he will take as many of them with him as he can.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Though they all set out with a common goal, their many differences in life outlook and mannerisms set up the rescue team for being this.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Rumplestiltskin gives Emma a rather hard hitting one, noting that despite all the things she's seen and done over the course of the show, she's never taken a leap of faith, and this lack of belief is what will lead them to fail the quest to rescue Henry.
- This Is Unforgivable: Tamara asks Rumpelstiltskin if he can forgive her after what she did to Baelfire. He says no and crushes her heart.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Greg and Tamara.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: When Charming threatens to kill their mermaid hostage, he stops only after Regina says it's a good idea.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Peter Pan can rip a person's "shadow" from their body which results in instant death. He does this to Greg.