Recap: Merlin S 04 E 07 The Secret Sharer
The Secret Sharer
Down in Morgana's hovel, Agravaine watches over her sleeping form anxiously. As he gets up to tend the fire, Morgana's eyelids flicker and her eyes roll back in her head as she recalls her fight with Emrys. She wakes up with a gasp, and Agravaine rushes to her side. She informs him that Emrys broke into her house and destroyed the Formorra, thus proving that he knows everything about their plans. Agravaine states that Gaius must be in league with him and Morgana thus realizes that Gaius can lead them straight to Emrys.Back in Camelot, Arthur is forcibly dragged out of bed by an energetic Merlin who has already scheduled his entire morning and reassures Arthur on how well he's performing as King. There's a knock on the door and Agravaine enters, asking for a private word. As he dresses, Agravaine reminds him that there's a traitor somewhere in Camelot, and that they need to flush him out. He leads the conversation back to Gaius, recalling that he told Arthur where to find the sorcerer who killed Uther and that he has a history with magic. Arthur seems on the verge of agreeing to let Agravaine question Gaius.Morgana gallops through the forest on a white horse and stops at a cliffside, looking out over the sea to where a city waits on an island, joined to the mainland by a natural bridge. Once there, she wanders through an Eastern-style marketplace and enters what looks like a large stone temple. Once there, she tells a shirtless man that she wishes to see the Cathar. She enters the room to see a purple-robed man meditating before an array of lit candles. He opens his eyes and they introduce each other: he's Alator, a warrior-priest of the Cathar, and she's Morgana, High Priestess of the Triple Goddess. She tells him that she wants him to abduct someone in Camelot and offers him her healing bracelet in payment. He agrees.In Camelot's council chamber, Arthur plays with his mother's rings as soldiers escorts Gaius into the room. He hangs back as Agravaine pulls out a chair for Gaius and cheerfully tells him that he's been brought in for some simple questioning.
- Gaius: Have I done something wrong, sire?Agravaine: What is your attitude to sorcery, Gaius?Gaius: It is against the law.Agravaine: And do you agree with that?Gaius: I understand the reason for it.Agravaine: That's not an answer to the question that I asked.Gaius: The law is needed to prevent the abuses that have been perpetrated by sorcerers.Agravaine: Can I ask you to be a little more direct with your answers. Do you agree that magic should be banned? Yes or no?Gaius: Yes.Agravaine: Have you ever practiced sorcery?Gaius: A long time ago.Agravaine: Recently?Gaius: No.
- Agravaine: I am as disappointed as you sire. That someone so close, so trusted. And it's not merely the discovery that he was a sorcerer as it is the lies. The lies and years of betrayal. I know it's hard to believe, isn't it sir. But we both saw him refuse to condemn magic. We both knew he was hiding something. Neither of us want to believe it, but now - with this hasty departure in the middle of the night. These are not the actions of an innocent man. There can be no doubt. Gaius is the traitor.
- Alator: Do not resist the fire. Let it into your mind. Let the flames search out your thoughts. Feel them burn into the darkest recesses of your mind. Let them shine a torch on your deepest secrets. Bring them to the light.
- Alator: Tell me about Emrys. Tell me Gaius. Where can we find Emrys?Gaius: In Camelot.Alator: Where in Camelot?Gaius: Emrys is the name by which he is known to the Druids, but to me... I know him by a different name.Alator: Tell me Gaius.Gaius: No!Alator: Who is he?Gaius: He is the most powerful sorcerer who has ever lived.Alator: What is his name?Gaius: His name is...Merlin.
- Morgana: Alator. This is Merlin. He's just a serving boy, but he's the most troubling serving boy I've ever known. I take it your time with Gaius was fruitful.Alator: Gaius told me everything.Morgana: So you know who Emrys is?Alator: Indeed I do. Not only do I know who Emrys is, I know exactly where he is.Morgana: Then tell me.Alator: Never.
- Alator: Merlin. I am Alator of the Cathar. I am honoured to be of service.Merlin: You have magic!Alator: I understand the burden you carry. I have lived with it all my life. I have been shunned, persecuted, and sometimes even hunted in every corner of the Five Kingdoms. I understand what that feels like. You're not alone. From what Gaius told me, I do not have your great powers, Merlin. But I share your hopes. For I and others like me, have dreamt of the world you seek to build and we would gladly give our lives to help you do it.
- Gaius: I've looked after you since you were a nursling, Arthur. You should have known I love you far too much to ever betray you.Arthur: Gaius, who abducted you?Gaius: I couldn't say. But I'm certain they were in league with Morgana.Arthur: What did they want?Gaius: Information. About you. Camelot. To help bring down the kingdomArthur: Did they get it?Gaius: Morgana got nothing from me.Arthur: I'm grateful. But there's a matter that still concerns me. When you were asked about the sorcerer that killed my father, you lied.Gaius: I did, sire.Arthur: You admit it.Gaius: I chose to protect him. I feared you would seek him out and execute him. That would have been a grave mistake. The sorcerer did not kill your father. Uther was dying. He tried everything in his power to save him. Contained within this great kingdom is a variety of different people with a range of different beliefs. I'm not the only one seeking to protect you. There are many more who believe in the world you are trying to create. One day you will learn Arthur, one day you will understand, just how much they've done for you.
- Abandoned Mine
- Affably Evil: Agravaine is at his most charming when manipulating Arthur and questioning Gaius.
- All There in the Script: Alator's henchman was apparently called Orn.
- Bald of Awesome: Alator
- Evil Sorcerer: Subverted with Alator.
- Frameup: Agravaine frames Gaius for witchcraft.
- Idiot Ball: Alator tells Morgana that he knows who and where Emrys is whilst walking over to Merlin, crouching down and staring intently at him. She still doesn't get it.
- I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That: Arthur when Merlin accuses Agravaine of framing Gaius.
- Kneel Before Frodo: Alator kneels to Merlin.
- Last of His Kind: Morgana is the last of the High Priestesses.
- The Law of Conservation of Detail: When Alator first enters the mine, there is a deliberate shot of his boots trekking through the mud.
- Left Hanging: So...did Alator find out that Gwaine and Merlin killed his henchman?
- Memento MacGuffin: Morgana's healing bracelet, which she's willing to give up in order to find Emrys.
- Oh, Crap: Agravaine's face when Gwaine catches him about to slit Gaius's throat.
- Rule of Symbolism: Alator leaves Morgana's bracelet discarded in the sand. Agravaine has purchased a dagger for Arthur (all the better to stab him in the back). Merlin's face is in focus during Agravaine's tirade about the "years of lies" concerning Gaius.
- Psychotic Smirk: Agravaine and Morgana have theirs out in full-force.
- Seamless Spontaneous Lie: Agravaine is about to slit Gaius's throat when Gwaine walks in on him. He manages to convince him that he was testing to see if he was breathing, using the dagger's blade to check if it fogged up.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Gaius, if you exchange "operating table" for "rock". According to the DVD Commentary, there was a line of dialogue that got cut which ascertains that magic was holding Gaius to the surface of the plinth.
- Torture Technician: Alator.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Alator's bodyguard.
- Who's Laughing Now?: A sense of this between Morgana/Gaius. After all those years of dealing with her by filling her with drugs, Morgana now finds herself in a position to do the same to Gaius.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Agravaine, who manages to talk himself out of a situation in which he's holding a knife to Gaius's throat.
- You Are Not Alone: Alator to Merlin.