Recap: Justice League Unlimited S 3 E 9 Grudge Match
Huntress starts following Black Canary after noticing she seems a little off her game and discovers that Roulette has revived Meta-Brawl, but this time with a twist. Called the "Glamour Slam", and featuring only female fighters, she has taken over the minds of Justice League members and forces them to fight in brutal cage matches with each other.
This episode includes examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Roulette seems to enjoy using this during her announcements, but the crowning one has to be calling Black Canary the "sultry siren of the sonic smackdown".
- Beam-O-War: A sonic one between Canary and Sonar. It's hilariously brief when Canary absolutely overpowers him and his gun explodes.
- The Cameo: The long-haired figure on the rooftop watching Black Canary and Huntress enter Bludhaven is almost certainly Nightwing.
- Cat Fight: Roulette and Tala nearly get into one when Roulette starts getting a little too handsy with Lex.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Wonder Woman completely trounces Shayera and Vixen. Luckily, Canary and Huntress are able to break the trance before she's able to smash their heads together.
- Designated Girl Fight: Averted. The episode primarily involves female characters and the males who are featured fighting (the mook guards and Sonar) get their asses absolutely handed to them.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Sonar seems to getting a little too much enjoyment from watching Tala and Roulette nearly getting into a fight.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The whole "what are you wearing?" phone conversation between Huntress and Question. Fortunately for the kids, he has no idea how the game works.Huntress: So, what are you wearing?Question: Blue overcoat. Fedora.Huntress: (sighs) You really stink at this.Question: Orange socks?(Huntress hangs up)
- Hypocritical Humor: Canary and Huntress discuss the stereotype that superheroes only use violence to solve their problems. They proceed to settle their rivalry with a final rematch.
- Irony: Earlier in series, Canary attempted to get Wildcat out of superhuman cage fighting, who was the star attraction of the show. Now here Canary is (unwillingly) part of the brawl and the main undefeated champion of the Glamour Slam. Possibly an Enforced Trope, as Roulette may have specfically picked her as possible payback for ruining her business the last time around.
- Lighthearted Rematch: The episode ends this way. Canary and Huntress challenge each other to one final match just for fun, cutting to the credits moments before they make contact.
- Kubrick Stare: A brief, really scary one from Shayera when under mind control.
- Mind Control: How Lex and Roulette force members of the League to fight. Sonar tampered with the League's comm-link earpieces to put them in an obedient trance.
- No Sell: Canary tries using her Sonic Scream on Vixen, but fails due to her throat being punched by Huntress earlier on.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Roulette subverts this. Huntress expects that she's the type that likes to watch others fight and doesn't get in on the action, but then Roulette breaks out the stilettos in her hair and catches her by surprise by turning out to be an actually decent fighter.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Huntress mowing through the security guards when the elevator door closes. Cut to her stepping out and they're just slumped over, unconscious on the floor.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Huntress and Canary seem to be developing into this by the end of the episode.
- Sequel Episode: To The Cat and the Canary.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Subverted and justified with Roulette. The simpler solution would've been to just kill Huntress and Canary, but her greed and need to make a profit get the better of her and she puts the two in a cage match. Of course, she had good reason to be confident that they would both get killed as they were facing off against Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl and Vixen, three major superheroes who have consistently proven they are forces to be reckoned with.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.