Into the Lion's Den, part 2: Wolf in Sheep's ClothingBetween Grayza's interference and Scorpius' threats against Earth, the crew realise that they're almost out of time. The others want to run for it, but Crichton thinks there's only one course of action remaining: destroying the command carrier, and all the wormhole research along with it. They conspire to find information on the carrier's weaknesses, but as soon as Crais is out of their earshot, he goes straight to Scorpius and make a deal for reinstatement and control over the Leviathan hybrid project in exchange for ratting out Moya's crew. The crew are rounded up and Scorpius threatens to execute them if Crichton doesn't start co-operating. Later, Crais find Crichton and Aeryn and lets them in on what he's doing: with the plan seemingly dead in the water, Crais is free and Scorpius doesn't suspect anything. Crais proposes that he get access to Talyn and convince him to starburst inside the hanger, which would cause an implosion and irreparably damage the ship. The half-an-arn it would take for the ship to be destroyed completely gives the crew a chance to escape.Crichton comes up with a way to keep Scorpius distracted during this process: he takes Scorpius on a trip down a wormhole, letting him experience it first-hand. While Crichton and Scorpius are gone, Aeryn and Crais take out the Peacekeepers guarding Talyn and say their goodbyes before Crais boards. He wakes Talyn up and convinces him that by starbursting, it gives both Talyn and Crais a chance to atone for their sins and die with dignity. When Scorpius returns to the command carrier, Crais hijacks the comm:
Crais: Scorpius? I am just making my final goodbyes.
Scorpius: (calmly) Where are you, Crais?
Crais: I am standing in your heart — and I am about to squeeze. You are the most repellent of creatures, Scorpius. You weren't born into Peacekeepers. You weren't conscripted against your will. You chose to be one. The last time I left this ship — MY ship — I did so under a veil of secrecy! YOU forced that situation. YOU took away MY command! You STOLE my LIFE from me! [a beat] Well this time, Scorpius, I am not leaving quietly. Talyn... Starburst.Talyn starbursts, destroying himself and Crais and starting the chain reaction that destroys the command carrier. In the chaos, Scorpius and Crichton manage to find each other and deactivate one another's I-Yensch bracelets. Scorpius says that he won't seek out Earth because he never cared about destroying it, only about forcing Crichton to do something that's now impossible. Crichton leaves on his module and returns to Moya just as the carrier is destroyed.With that task behind them, most of the crew seem ready to leave Moya and returns to their homes or find something else to do with their lives. The only one not making plans is Crichton, who can't stop writing out wormhole equations...
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Admiring the Abomination: Strappa saw the wormhole project from a purely scientific point-of-view and thought success would be one of the greatest achievements in the history. Even in the end, he still felt this way."It would've been nice to know it could have been done."
- Batman Gambit: Crais exposes Crichton's plot to Scorpius in order to get him to lower his guard.
- Bittersweet Ending: Scorpius' wormhole project is finished and the crew escaped safely. On the other hand, Crais and Talyn are dead, while the rest of the crew is preparing to break up.
- Face Death with Dignity: Crais and Talyn.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Crais and Talyn."Starburst within a confined space... will be the hero's death that Talyn deserves."
- It's All About Me: Crais admits that this has been his worldview for some time, as his family is long gone.
- It's Personal: Crais makes this very clear in his final speech.
- Jerkass Fašade: Crais backhands Larell in public and denounces her as someone he doesn't care about, so that she will in no way be held accountable for what he does next.
- Mind Rape: Crichton uses the Aurora Chair to erase what Strappa knows about wormholes. And this was Strappa's idea.
- Momma's Boy: Talyn agrees to Crais' plan after being told it will prevent Moya from being enslaved.
- Oh Crap!: Braca has a subdued one when he realizes that Crais isn't planning to escape on Talyn. Scorpius, however, is far angrier.
- Villainous Breakdown: Scorpius is quite enraged just before Talyn starbursts. He's far more composed, though, in his final conversation with Crichton.