Recap / Family Guy S 2 E 7 The King Is Dead
March 28, 2000
Lois is named the new director of the Quahog players and decides to put on a production of The King and I
, but Peter wants in on the production as well, and Lois' attempts at kicking Peter upstairs
to producer end up giving him creative control over the entire project.
"The King is Dead" contains examples of:
- Adaptation Decay: Peter's version of The King And I.
- Bait and Switch: After Diane quits, Peter says that there was always someone there who should have played Anna from the start. When Loretta comes to thank Peter, Peter says that he himself will play Anna.
- Bowdlerisation: On Channel 4 in the UK, the part where Tom Tucker says "A bit of breaking news, we now go to Dianne being a bitch" is removed.
- Captain Obvious: "Hey, were you there when I farted?"
- Classically Trained Extra: Stewie, who auditions with a passage from Richard III but is cast as a Siamese baby.
Stewie: Stewie Griffin does not play bit parts!
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: In one cutaway, Albert Einstein slams God's head in a stove.
- Eat the Camera: Peter at the end of his audition.
- Fun with Acronyms: Automaton Nuclear Neo-human Android (A.N.N.A.).
- Hint Dropping: Brian, who wants to be in Lois's play, tells Lois, "I sing... beautifully". Lois gives an annoyed, "So I've heard."
- In-Name-Only: This episode provides the page quote.
Lois There is no talking penguin in The King and I!
Peter: There are in Peter Griffin presents The King and I.
- Large Ham: Parodied. Brian announces his role as the King of Siam in a dramatic fashion, to Quagmire's annoyance.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Lois's description of The King and I also fits her marriage - and by extension, Family Guy itself - perfectly.
- Lowest Common Denominator: Peter's rendtion of The King and I is packed with the sort of lowbrow entertainment he loves.
- Monkeys on a Typewriter: The basis of a Cutaway Gag, but here, the monkeys are intelligent and speak like humans.
- News Travels Fast: Right after Lois accepts the role of theater director over the phone, Tom Tucker announces it on the news, complete with a photo of Lois from seconds ago.
- Overly Long Gag: After Lois lambasts Peter and the audience, Peter lets out a long, stuttering fart. The audience applauds wildly again, aggravating Lois.
- Precision F-Strike: "This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...BLOWS!!!"
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Lois gives one to both the audience for liking Peter's interpretation of The King and I, as well as Peter for transforming it into something surreal and unlike the original play.
Lois: Oh my God. They liked it? (Lois stands on her seat and faces the audience) Stop it! Stop clapping right now! What's wrong with you? These people shouldn't be encouraged! They should be punished! That man has committed murder here this evening and the victim's name is "theater"! This is the kind of mind-numbing schlock that's turning our society into a cultural wasteland! This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...BLOWS!!!
- Rhetorical Question Blunder:
Chris: I don't get it, mom. If you're mad at Dad for wrecking your show, why'd you come to opening night?
Lois: I came because I love the theater. If I just came here to enjoy watching your father be humiliated when this asinine spectacle of his is ridiculed by everyone in town, what kind of person would I be?
Chris: ...A bitch?
- The Quahog Players puts on an adaptation of The King and I.
- Peter performs the theme song for Land of the Lost.
- The marquee on opening night says that the play is "A Peter Griffin Joint", a reference to Spike Lee's odd director credit ("A Spike Lee Joint" instead of "Film").
- Take That: Played straight and subverted when Lois gives Peter a breakfast with some "creative changes" (a jab at Peter changing The King and I):
Peter: Lois, if this is your idea of a joke, you must write for Leno.
Stewie: Ugh, it is so fashionable to take a shot at Jay Leno. Look, the fact is the man is out there every bloody night, with fresh material, and he's charming!
- Toilet Humor
Peter: Hey, I have more creativity in my whole body than most people do before 9:00 a.m.
Lois: The only thing you create before 9:00 a.m. is exactly what you've turned my show into.