The Doctor steps out of the TARDIS to investigate where they've landed this time, only to be shot in the chest almost immediately by an anthropomorphic pig with a blunderbuss. Welcome to the Crooked World
The Crooked World contains examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Both played straight with the inhabitants of the Crooked World, and horribly subverted with the Doctor, Fitz and Anji.
- Anime Anatomy: Streaky and all of the rest of the animals on the Crooked World. And Angel as well, much to Fitz's chagrin.
- Bizarrchitecture: All of the buildings on the Crooked World are, well, crooked.
- Cartoon Bomb: A rather clingy one that gets passed like a hot potato all over Zanytown before finally exploding in the Masked Weasel's face.
- Harmless Villain: They all start out this way, and most like Dirty Duck and Repugna end up giving up evil for good after the free will revolution gets them thinking about their life choices.
- Reality Ensues: When the citizens of Zanytown stop believing that all the cartoon violence is harmless, and actually start thinking about the consequences of their actions, this becomes inevitable.
- Real Men Get Shot: The Doctor. Of course.
- Shout-Out: Possibly one to the TVM when the Eighth Doctor steps out of the TARDIS and is immediately shot.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Scary Manor holds the secret of the Crooked World, and why it's been trapped in the same patterns for so long. An escape pod holding a young human child crash-landed on the planet untold years ago, and the little girl's garbled descriptions of Saturday morning cartoons affected the planet's low-level Hive Mind, forcing everyone on it into the unvaried routines of the fictional archetypes in question and actually changing the laws of physics.
- Villain Protagonist: The Masked Weasel. He is the alter-ego of Angel Falls' caretaker Mr. Weasley (No, not that one) and is conflicted throughout the novel over his role in the rapidly changing society that he once simply accepted.