Helen pushes Daria to get contact lenses, since her glasses' frame partly obstructs her vision while driving. Daria is torn, as she thinks getting rid of her glasses will make her look better but doesn't want to admit that she wants to look better; furthermore, wearing contacts hurts her eyes. She eventually tries contacts out for a day, finding herself both appreciative and annoyed at people's changing opinions of her.The next day her eyes hurt too much to wear the contacts, but she decides to go to school without her glasses anyway, and eventually succumbs to depression when she realizes how much she cares about her appearance. Some words of wisdom from Brittany, of all people, help perk her up, though she decides to wear her glasses from now on, saying that they make a better statement of who she is.
This episode provides examples of:
- The Cameo: Daria calls Aunt Amy for a brief scene.
- Catapult Nightmare: Daria has a nightmare about her appearance with and without her glasses.
- Continuity Nod: "Talking toilet."
- Dumbass Has a Point: Brittany tells Daria that knowing she cares about her appearance with how deep she is, makes Brittany feel a little less shallow and better about herself. She's the only one who gets through to Daria and makes her feel better.
- The Glasses Gotta Go
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Both Kevin and Brittany get a pair.
- Sexy Spectacles: Brittany apparently likes Kevin's Purely Aesthetic Glasses.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Kevin and Brittany try to invoke this trope, believing that glasses will literally make them smarter.
- Troll: Aunt Amy, as always. She comes into the episode by mailing Helen a passive-aggressive postcard, and later teases Daria by saying that she's her favorite niece...and then asking which niece she's talking to.
- Stealth Insult: Daria tells Kevin it's not possible for him to get any smarter with glasses.