Recap: Daria S 3 E 03
For Awareness of Others Week, everyone at Lawndale High is required to sign up for a volunteer activity. While Quinn and the Fashion Club try to collect clothes for the homeless (while being far too selective), Daria joins Kevin and Brittany in reading to senior citizens. It turns out nobody at the nursing home likes Daria, however, due to her flat voice. Eventually she does manage to find one old woman who appreciates her (who is either senile or deaf), and continues to volunteer even after the week is over.
This episode provides examples of:
- Call Back: Quinn and the fashion club end up at Mrs. Johanson's house. As they walk away, she asks if they're selling candy.
- Dumb Blonde: Somehow, Brittany's stepmother is dumber than she is.
- Genius Book Club: Daria brings Howl to read to the seniors; unfortunately, they prefer Brittany's romance novels and Kevin's comic books. She can also be seen reading Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's The Leopard during dinner.
- It's All About Me: Ms. Li, as always. She clearly is just pushing the students into volunteering so that she can be praised by her bosses for the school's 100% participation.
- Noodle Incident / Out of Focus: We hear about Jane's volunteer work with children at the hospital, but she doesn't get her own subplot about it.
- What You Are in the Dark: Daria keeps with her volunteering even after the school's forced period is over and while she is not one to hide it, no one outside of her mother or Jane would suspect it either.