Lawndale High goes on a paintballing trip, where Daria and Jane sneak off to see a tourist trap centered on a great white shark run by a crazy woman, Helen and Ms. Li fight over Daria's attitude, Quinn threatens Sandy's place as head of the Fashion Club, Ms. Barch falls in love with a man for the first time in 20-odd years, and Mr. DeMartino shares a drink and stories of his messed-up childhood with Jake.
This episode provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Mr. DeMartino and Jake bond over having them.
- And Another Thing...: After an argument with Helen, Ms. Li turns to her and says to Helen (who states she's worried if she looks younger than her age) "You look fifty."
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Brittany turns out to be an amazing tactician.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: On the bus one the way to the paintball grounds, Ms. Barch is reading "Backlash" by Susan Faludi. It is a book analyzing the anti-feminist movement in the eighties that arose as a counter-reaction to the feminist movement of the seventies.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Averted. Quinn and Tiffany seem to be aware that Sandi is looking for a toilet, therefor missing the bus.
- Paintball Episode: The whole school goes paintballing.
- Running Gag: "Those paintball thingies hurt!"
- Shout-Out: The end is deliberately done like Platoon.
- Ms. Barch is seen reading the Feminist tome Backlash.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: As soon as Ms. Barch discovers that Mr. O'Neill is sensitive, she starts smooching him.
- War Is Hell: Parodied throughout the episode.