Recap: Community S1 E16: Communication Studies
Jeff's love life is complicated when Britta drunk dials him. To reestablish the status quo Abed convinces Jeff he must leave an equally embarrassing phone call for Britta. After Troy and Pierce are humiliated by Chang, Annie and Shirley vow to get revenge, but the execution of their plan is less than ideal.
The Community episode "Communication Studies" provides examples of:
- Brick Joke: In the cold open, Abed emphasizes the importance of emphasis in successful sarcasm. At the end of the cold open, he goes to town on sarcasm to remind Jeff that he, in fact, knows something about television.
- Cannot Convey Sarcasm: Subverted. Abed in his normal voice doesn't inflect much, but he is capable of being sarcastic, he just has to over-exaggerate.
Abed: Oh that's sarcasm, but I forgot to inflect. This sounds WAY MORE like sarcasm. Inflection is SO interesting.
- Crossdresser: Chang forces Troy and Pierce to wear attractive women's pant suits to a dance as punishment for trying to get revenge on him for humiliating them. It was Shirley and Annie.
- Drunken Montage: Abed and Jeff (another scene lifted directly from The Breakfast Club).
- Hangover Sensitivity: Britta, Jeff, and Abed.
- Ho Yay: Troy calls Pierce a "slut!" for hopping on Chang's bike to go get some frozen yogurt.
- I Think You Broke Him
- Lady in Red: Britta. And she's seriously just doing it to mess with Jeff.
- Never Live It Down: Britta implies that Jeff's drunk dial is forty minutes long and she intends to hold it over his head.
- Playing Drunk: Jeff tries to do this to drunk-dial Britta. Abed insists he ACTUALLY gets drunk. Hilarity Ensues.
- Shout-Out: Jeff and Abed's drinking montage has a number of them, mostly to Eighties High School Movies:
- A Simple Plan:
Jeff: So, what, to even the score I have to drunk dial her? Isn't that absurdly simplistic? Would it even work?
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Jeff and Britta have the same reaction to arming the Human Being with arrows.
Oh, it has arrows now. That's safe.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Troy vehemently denies that his "girlfriend" is fake before Chang even questions it.
- [Trope Name]: "Movie reference."
- Through His Stomach: Abed is on the receiving end of several muffin baskets from actresses who want to star in his next film.
- Valentine's Day Episode
- Woman Scorned: Jeff calls his girlfriend and hangs up when he realizes she's not Britta. Anger ensues.