Recap / Calvin And Hobbes The Series S 1 E 18 Confessions Of A Prank Loving Tiger
The episode, entirely narrated by Socrates
, tells how he met Calvin and Hobbes.
It starts with his owners winning the lottery and moving into a mansion. He was pretty bored then, and spent most of his time watching DirecTV and planning pranks. One day, he decided to go outside, when he finds Calvin and Hobbes - he's more interested in the latter, being an anthropomorphic tiger like himself.
The two tigers find amusement in trolling Calvin, thus making him go insane. Hobbes tells him where to find their house, freaking out Calvin.
Later, when he arrives, Hobbes gives him a tour. Socrates takes pity on Calvin's father's outdated technology. Socrates decides to prank Calvin and build his trust by saving him at a point during his prank.
Unfortunately, he doesn't get to do it, as he's roped into a game of Calvinball
. He manages to earn the trust of Calvin, as well as Hobbes' friendship.
And Calvin eventually got in that rope trap, by the way. Socrates didn't save him, seeing how he'd already gotten his trust.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking and Everyone Hates Mimes:
Calvin: WHAT IF HE'S A MURDERER! WHAT IF HE'S A WEREWOLF! WHAT IF HE'S A VAMPIRE! WHAT IF HE'S A ROBBER! WHAT IF HE'S A GOBLIN! WHAT IF HE'S A MIME!
- Bottle Episode: Only the lead characters (at least at this point in the story) are present.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Socrates considers living with Calvin's dad, who thinks transportation should've stopped at the bicycle, a case of this.
- First-Person Smartass: Socrates.
- Origins Episode: Of a sort, for Socrates.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Lampshaded.
Calvin scrambled up the stairs and dove into a door on the top floor.
Hey, that rhymes! Door. Floor.
Heh, heh. Maybe I could write a poem for my next story.
- Series Continuity Error: The scene where Hobbes and Socrates drive Calvin insane is presented as the first time where Socrates and Calvin have ever interacted, when in "Home UnAlone" it is said that Calvin had never seen Socrates before that night's prank.
- Shout-Out: Calvin calls the skunk "Rosebud."
- Smelly Skunk: Subverted - Socrates gets rid of the skunk within three minutes.