The Sixth Doctor is reunited with his friend, the now-retired Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, at an archeological research centre in Cornwall. Previous attempts at excavating the moor and its fogou have been abandoned on account of an unearthly presence, driving the workmen to madness or even death. The legendary spectre of Lanyon Moor is more than it seems, and after eighteen thousand years of imprisonment, he is preparing to take his revenge on the entire Earth.
While the Doctor and the Brigadier try to race against the alien's human lackeys, Evelyn (in the grand tradition of Doctor Who
companions) wanders off and gets herself kidnapped. She escapes and rejoins the plot in time to see the alien's revenge plan unfolding. The Brigadier decides to make a Heroic Sacrifice
to stop the alien, rather effortlessly outthinking it — but as usual
, it doesn't take and he survives.
- A God Am I: Sir Archibald Flint thinks he will be a god once he's got total control of the psychic energy. He even compares himself to Christ, though Evelyn mocks the analogy.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Bag of Holding: Evelyn's bag.
- Aleister Crowley Was An Alien Spy
- Big Bad Duumvirate: What Sir Archibald Flint hopes to achieve with Sancreda, the alien.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Sir Archibald Flint
- Busman's Holiday: It seems this is the case for the Brigadier but he's actually undercover.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Doctor's coil of copper wire that the Brigadier carries in his pocket for much of the story.
- Continuity Snarl: A minor one, but it's jarringly repeated a few times: Six finds out that the Brig has a wife named Doris, but in "Battlefield", Seven apparently doesn't know this yet.
- Dont Go Into The Woods: It's a small little village (if THAT) with cottages miles apart.
- Drink Order: Evelyn requests a hot chocolate instead of a cup of tea, first established in the Marian Conspiracy. The officers swear by coffee.
- The Doctor still asks for tea, as per his usual.
- Energy Beings
- Evil Laugh: Of the Giggling Villain variety for the Goblin
- Eye Scream: Evelyn gets threatened with having her eyes boiled out of her skull.
- Faux Affably Evil: Sir Archibald Flint.
- Fix Fic: The Sixth Doctor never met the Brigadier on television, "Dimensions in Time" excepted. This audio gives them a proper adventure together.
- Foreshadowing: The Ironic Nursery Rhyme
- Gadgeteer Genius: The Doctor rigs up a few, with access to his TARDIS being cut off.
- Genre Savvy: Despite never having met this particular incarnation before, it takes the Brigadier all of 2 seconds to recognise the Doctor when he bursts in the door in his rainbow coat bellowing "Lethbridge-Stewart, you old rogue!"
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: Evelyn gets described as an "extraordinary beautiful woman" before she enters the cabin; justified by the fact the officers themselves are in the autumn years of their lives as well.
- Insignificant Little Blue Planet
"Speck of MUD"
- Ironic Nursery Rhyme: "Up the airy mountain, down the rushy glenn, we daren't go a-huntin' for fear of little men".
- Irony: The tour guide at the museum in Athens jokes that most of the marble from the Parthenon is at the British Museum. The tiny Celtic artifact the Big Bad is looking for happens to be in that very museum, in Athens.
- Kill 'em All: None of the major guest cast survive.
- Mind over Matter: What Sir Archibald Flint intends to achieve by tapping the alien's abilities.
- Mood Whiplash: At the end the Doctor, Evelyn and the Brigadier head off to the pub asking about chocolate puddings, seemingly uncaring of the six people who have died.
- Must Have Caffeine: The officers harp on about this.
- Mythology Gag: One of the officers remarks that their scientist has "Spotted UFO's, found the Loch Ness Monster, and solved the mystery of the Pyramids." - All of have been done by the Doctor in the past.
- Non-Answer: The Doctor states he is a Doctor of "This and that, mostly that."
- Our Goblins Are Different: Physical manifestations of Psionic energy.
- Pet the Dog: Literally. Mrs. Moynihan loves her dogs, but is otherwise not a very nice person.
- Revenge: Sancreda's motivation after believing that his brother abandoned him. When presented with the truth, he decides to kill more things just to make up for it. Mrs. Moynihan has the same motivation.
- Rip Van Winkle: The alien in this story gets described by the Doctor as relatively been asleep akin to a decade "for human standards". Though it's been over 20 thousand..
- Running Gag: At one point one of the officers comes running up to the Brig and the Doctor shouting "Doctor..! Doctor..!" "Who!?" is the reply.
- Stealth Insult: Evelyn tries a few using the words "nuts" and "fruit" but the person she's with picks up on them.
- Stepford Smiler: Suggested In-Universe about Mrs. Moynihan, seeing as her husband left her for his secretary, and her daughter married someone she didn't approve of.
- Take Over the World: Of course.
- The Brigadier: The Brigadier
- The Mole: Phillip
- The Ren Field: No, not The Mole; Mrs. Moynihan
- 10-Minute Retirement: The Brigadier states an officer never truly retires.
- Turned Against Their Master: The dogs are sic'd on Mrs. Moynihan by Sacreda
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Interestingly averted with Six and the Brigadier. The Brig actually gets along better with Six than with most other regenerations, due to Six' straightforward attitude.
- We Are as Mayflies: See Rip Van Winkle.
- We Can Rule Together: Archibald attempts this with Sacreda. Sacreda will have none of it.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve
- Would Hit a Girl: Sir Archibald Flint.