Recap: Big Finish Doctor Who 011 The Apocalypse Element
The Sixth Doctor and Evelyn gate crash an interstellar time/space conference and run into Vansell of the Gallifreyan C.I.A., who still doesn't get along with anyone. They discovered that a planet has been missing for twenty years. It happened to house a space/time MacGuffin
bomb and, rather surprisingly, Lady President Romana of Gallifrey, who was abducted just weeks into her presidency.
The Daleks turn out to be behind the planetary kidnapping, and they've kept Romana as a slave for twenty years. She's rather broken, but bounces back as best as she can after the Doctor rescues her.
The Daleks announce that they plan to destroy all of time and space using the MacGuffin
bomb. They need Gallifreyan technology to keep themselves Just One Second Out of Sync
from the explosion. The Doctor, Romana, Evelyn and Vansell team up to stop them. Although the Daleks fail to explode the entire universe, they succeed in killing billions of people and creating a new galaxy all for themselves.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The Daleks are good at this.
- Apocalypse How
- Artificial Gravity: The Gravity Wells.
- Batman Gambit: The Daleks are good at this as well.
- Big Words: Gets a Layman's Terms.
- Body Double
- Borrowed Biometric Bypass: The Daleks make their way through the capitol using the eyes of dead guards to bypass the retinal security locks.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: The Daleks having a limited vocabulary, this extends to those under their control.
- Break the Cutie
- Call Forward: Another unintentional one (These Audio adventures seem to have a knack for that), to "The Stolen Earth".
- Catchphrase Interruptus: The Doctor gets sick and tired of the Daleks' threats very quickly.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The Daleks are lead by a Black Dalek.
- Combat Tentacles: The uncased Dalek mutants.
- Covered In Slime: What it does to the Doctor.
- Eye Scream
- Foreshadowing: Unintentionally to the Time War.
- In an article for the 2006 Doctor Who Annual Russell T Davies mentions the Etra Prime Incident was one of the events that led to the Time War.
- Ghost Town: Using technology The Doctor locks all of the inhabitants of the Galifreyan capital inside.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Averted. Romana syncs into the gestalt consciousness, glimpses Dalek minds and the consciousness of space and gravity itself, and gets a bit more broken than she already was — but doesn't go mad. Then she does it again and still manages to retain her sanity.
- Gondor Calls for Aid
- Have We Met Yet?: Romana notes that the Doctor is doing their timelines entirely out of order, and that he's in "the wrong body".
- Holographic Disguise: See below.
- I Surrender, Suckers: By proxy.
- Large Ham: The Doctor is confronted with the end of the universe.. And doesn't handle it well.
- Layman's Terms: "Maritime vessel initiating materialization sequence." "If that means we're landing, just say it."
- Mass Teleportation: To an entire planet.
- Mental Fusion: A Time Lord trick.
- Mind Control
- Mineral Macguffin: The crystals of Archetryx prime.
- More Hero Than Thou: Varner.
- No Indoor Voice: The Daleks are even more shouty.
- Not So Different: One of the Timelords accuses another of this compared to the Daleks.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The Doctor feels that Vansell is one of these.
- Omnicidal Maniac: The Daleks.
- Peace Conference: The setting.
- Pun: "Put's a whole new spin on the term ID, doesn't it?"
- Robo Speak: The Daleks, natch.
- Space Station
- SpaceX: See Two of Your Earth Minutes.
- Spanner in the Works: The Daleks recognize the Doctor is this very much so.
- Storming the Castle: Well, Storming Gallifrey.
- Teleporters and Transporters: The Whoniverse Transmat system returns.
- Title Drop: The contents of the crystals...
- The Bus Came Back: Romana appears for a Sixth Doctor adventure!
- The High Queen: As soon as Romana is back on Gallifrey, she picks up the role quickly.
- The Paralyzer: Dalek weaponry works like this If they want to.
- The Watcher: The Doctor claims this is what the Timelords "should" be.
- Two of Your Earth Minutes: Inverted. Evelyne asks if time is measured in Space Minutes or Earth Minutes.
- You Are Number Six: Unit 117? You are Unit 117?