- Straight: Faith must fulfill her role as Barrier Maiden by sealing The Legions of Hell back in the rift from whence they came... something she can only do from inside the rift. As she performs her Heroic Sacrifice, her Love Interest, Lance, jumps through the closing portal, choosing to stay there forever with her.
- Exaggerated: This scenario happens five minutes after Lance meets Faith for the first time.
- Downplayed: When Lance and Faith open a door to escape from Hell, a character in the background holds the hand of another character who's chained and can't get out.
- Justified: Faith is really everything Lance has and he can't live without her.
- Lance chooses not to join Faith, instead watching her head to her fate alone.
- Lance joins Faith in Hell...and promptly breaks the both of them out.
- Double Subverted: ... However, he then finds a way to join her after all when they have to close another rift in the unexpected sequel.
- Lance chooses to stay with Faith forever...in New Jersey.
- After Lance jumps in, a Clingy Jealous Girl jumps in after him, followed by her Stalker With a Crush, and so on until a Love Dodecahedron the size of a small town is inside the rift.
- Lance literary sold Hell itself to be with Faith.
- Lance's sacrifice saves them both from Hell... not because of the purity of his action or any such thing, but just because all their mushiness is Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth.
- Zig Zagged: Lance chooses not to join Faith, but in the sequel, he changes his mind and finds a second rift to her world. However, when he finally gets there, he decides he doesn't want to as he sees the rift close before his eyes. However, he changes his mind again...
- Averted: Either Lance doesn't jump through or Faith never has to make a Heroic Sacrifice.
- "We need a way to show how much Lance loves Faith... how about we let him join her as she performs her Heroic Sacrifice?
- They need to be together for the spinoff.
- Lampshaded: "I knew you'd jump through for me."
- Invoked: Faith deliberately makes the Heroic Sacrifice because she knows Lance will follow her.
- Exploited: Faith can get out of Hell perfectly easily, but pretends she cannot because she knows Lance can't and will follow her.
- "Okay, we've been through a lot together, but you're not worth that!"
- Alternatively, Faith prevents Lance from following her so that he doesn't suffer the same fate she does.
- Discussed: "Isn't it romantic that Lance goes through hell just because he wants to be with her?"
- Conversed: "He isn't going to jump through, isn't he? Oh wait, he is. Romantic."
- After choosing to remain with Faith forever, Lance later comes to question whether or not he made the right decision. The love he sacrificed everything for falls apart.
- Faith only went to hell so she could save Lance. She now perceives what she did as a Senseless Sacrifice and becomes angry with him, and thus they spend eternity at each other's throats.
- The sacrifice is followed by something even worse: the inner psychological conflict between the two lovers. Thus, the real Hell become being with each other.
- Lance goes to Hell literally to save Faith. The pain of it comes from love not existing within Hell, causing his supposed Heroic Sacrifice to be very stupid and senseless, as if he had saved Faith, they would actually be happy, but in Hell they only suffer.
- Because they're in hell, a place dedicated to being everyone's worst nightmare; the demons and devils actively try to prevent them from seeing each other and succeed, turning his heroic sacrifice into a senseless sacrifice.
- Reconstructed: The couple suffers threats to their relationship ranging from demons to domestic squabbles but their love ultimately weathers this trial and they find the strength to continue on.
- Played For Laughs:
Lance: I'd stay in this hellish realm for eternity if it means being with you.
- The next conversation occurs...
Narrator: "One Eternity Later"
Faith: "We're out."
Lance: "Thank God for that, I don't think I could have taken that much longer."
Faith: "It's only been ten minutes! You jerk!"
Lance: "I'd stay in this hellish realm for eternity if it means being with you."
Narrator: "Ten Seconds Later"
Lance: "I take it all back! I didn't know there'd be Monster Clowns!"
Lance: "I'd stay in this hellish realm for eternity with you."
- A third
Narrator: "Ten Seconds Later"
Faith: "I had no idea eternity only lasted for ten seconds."
- Played For Drama: As Lance jumps through the rift to be with Faith, he suddenly thinks of his family and friends and everyone he had left behind just to be with her, and immediately regrets jumping through. Because of this, his relationship with Faith experience turbulence.
You Are Worth Hell. Really, you are! I'm not just saying that!