Playing With: Tragic Villain
Basic Trope: A villain who is completely aware of their evil, but knows it's too late for redemption.
Back to Tragic Villain
- Straight: Dr. Psychosis is a Mad Scientist who wants to stop killing people, but thinks he doesn't deserve redemption.
- Exaggerated: Dr. Psychosis is a genocidal maniac who was screwed over by the nation he seeks to destroy.
- Downplayed: Dr. Psychosis is a mostly sane scientist that robs banks because all his projects lost funding from the government.
- Justified: Dr. Psychosis's victims are Asshole Victim who have wronged him, so he is driven to do evil things to them.
- Inverted: Tragic Hero.
- Double Subverted:
- Dr. Psychosis is also killing innocents because he wants people to hate him enough to want to kill him as he can't live with himself.
- Dr Psychosis's redemption is temporary and he soon goes back to killing people because he thinks that his methods of justice are better, even if they are evil.
- Parodied: Dr. Psychosis is an exterminator who wants to stop the giant-mutant-radioactive-killer-cockroaches from outer space, but thinks he does not deserve redemption.
- Zig Zagged: Heel-Face Revolving Door.
- Averted: There is nothing sympathetic or tragic about Dr. Psychosis's actions.
- Enforced: The author wants to make their villain more sympathetic to the viewers.
- Lampshaded: "Dr. Psychosis may be a villain, but the world has wronged him in so many ways that I can't hate him for it."
- Invoked: "Those jerks called me mad, but I'll show them who's mad!"
- Exploited: Dangerously Genre Savvy Anti-Hero Steel Blood keeps reminding Dr. Psychosis about his past to push him over the edge
- Defied: "I don't care whether Dr Psychosis's victims are assholes or whether he knows he's wrong. He's still evil and needs to be stopped."
- Discussed: "I know Dr. Psychosis is evil and all, but come on, if I lived a life like he did I'm sure I'd turn evil too"
- Conversed: "Wow, that Mad Scientist guy sure has gone through some crap in his life."
- Implied: Dr. Psychosis never speaks of his past, but his actions show he's fighting out of desperation rather than just the evulz
- Deconstructed: Dr. Psychosis lets his past get the better of him and ultimately starts to go insane and forget what he was fighting for in the first place.
- Reconstructed: Dr. Psychosis eventually manages to put his goals before his emotions and regains his sanity.
- Played For Laughs: "What was that, Steel? I couldn't hear you over the sound of my troubled past"
Back to Tragic Villain