Playing With: Taken for Granite
Basic Trope: A character is turned into stone.
Back to Taken for Granite
- Straight: Alice, a Black Magician Girl, casts a spell on Bob Coolson and he turns into stone.
- Alice casts a spell and everyone on the planet except her turns into stone.
- Alice turns a water elemental into a stone elemental with her spell.
- Downplayed: Alice's magic causes paralysis in her victims. They become as immoble as a statue, but are still flesh and blood.
- Alice turns herself to stone in order to protect herself from Bob.
- David Atlas McMichaelangelo is actually a stone statue that can take on a human form.
- Alice can turn stones into people.
- Bob knew about Alice's magic, and has made himself immune to petrification.
- Alice's spell fails to work because Bob is an elemental.
- Bob is still able to move.
- Double Subverted: Bob's clothes are still affected, effectively imprisoning him.
- Alice's spell only takes partial effect; Bob is unharmed but his mineral deficiencies have been corrected.
- Birds poop on Bob.
- Zig Zagged: Alice changes Bob back to normal just long enough for him to answer a quick question, after which she thanks and re-petrifies him.
- Averted: Alice kills Bob with another method.
- Enforced: Alice and Bob are in a series that is, naturally, Merchandise-Driven. The toy manufacturers realize it's a lot easier to emboss Bob on a plastic rectangle than to mold him into something more three-dimensional.
- Lampshaded: Bob is frozen in place with a curiously stony-faced expression.
- Invoked: Alice studies the spell because she is vain and likes to have her conquests on display.
- Exploited: Bob lets himself be turned to stone, so that anoher spell Drake cast on him would make Bob a mobile statue and that much stronger.
- Defied: Alice passes over learning a petrification spell for one that kills people with other methods.
- Discussed: "So she beats people and... turns them into lawn decorations?"
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Alice comes to realize that petrifying others is a terrible way to solve a verbal conflict and the guilt of Bob's permanent fate catches up with her.
- Reconstructed: Alice overcomes this temporary bout of indecisiveness. She becomes a world-renowned sculptor and her immaculate works are on display in world-class gardens and museums the world over.
- Played For Laughs:
- Other than being a mage, Alice is a painter. When she has to make a painting for someone, she petrifies the subject to make him or her stand still for the best result. She's a world-class thanks to this technique. (Of course she de-petrifies them later, otherwise she will be known as a world-class sculptor and a fugitive.)
- Alice uses her statues as towel racks, hat racks, to tie up clotheslines, for her hammock...
Back to Taken for Granite