: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
: Two (or more) nations or tribes go to war over something trivial.
- Straight: Tropestan goes to war with Wikistan over the issue of whether it should be Alice and Bob or Bob and Alice.
- Exaggerated: An inter-dimensional war breaks out over how to pronounce the word "Tomato".
- Downplayed: As everybody agrees it is a silly reason for a full scale war they decide to hold a Combat by Champion between the bravest knights in each kingdom. After all, they like fighting anyway? Let them have their fun and let honest folk get back to work.
- The issue really is Serious Business.
- One (or even all of them) the involved nations/groups was looking for an excuse, any excuse, to declare war on the others.
- One(or both) of the parties has been infringing on the other's jurisdiction for a long time. The issue that is considered cause of war is minor in itself, but it causes the offended party to consider it the last straw.
- Blue and Orange Morality.
- Tropestan and Wikistan sign a peace treaty in order that the soldiers can go home and watch the new season of TV shows.
- Tropestan and Wikistan go to war over something serious.
- Tropestan and Wikistan come to an agreement over the Alice and Bob issue.
- While fighting over zoning rules on decoration may seem silly it has a significant impact on utilization of LeyLines.
- Double Subverted:
- But Tropestan declares war because the ambassador from Wikistan put his elbows on the table at the celebratory dinner.
- Except it is proven later that interference is either superstition at natural fluctuations they fight over where to put the memorial statues.
- Parodied: Half the multiverse goes to war over who should take the trash out. They later fight with said trash.
- Zig Zagged: After having an issue over putting Waldorf before Statler, rather than the usual Statler and Waldorf (playing straight), they sign a peace treaty (Subversion), but the Ass in Ambassador who is also a Magnificent Bastard purposefully insults King Bob the Nth (invoking) to make them go to war again (Double Subversion). After a disagreement over how to pronounce potato, things REALLY get nasty.
- Averted: Tropestan and Wikistan don't go to war.
- Enforced: "...starting with: 'Ridiculous ideas to go to war over.'"
- Lampshaded: "All this...because two Wiki Nations have such Insistent Terminology?"
- Invoked: The Ass in Ambassador makes a critical mistake when addressing King Bob the Nth and his wife Queen Alice.
- Exploited: The Magnificent Bastard ruler of a third country is pleased when Tropestan and Wikistan go to war.
- Defied: King Bob the Nth and Queen Alice decide it's not worth going to war over. It might still be a Rant Inducing Slight, though.
- Discussed: "Yeesh. Even the Grammar Nazis can't get along."
- Conversed: "I'm glad we only go to war over things that matter rather than anything absurd and frivolous."
- Deconstructed: Leads to a lot of loss of lives and resources (not to mention long-held grudges) over something completely arbitrary and pointless!
- Reconstructed: Tropestan and Wikistan have peace talks and resolve their differences without further conflict.
- Played For Laughs: If it is played for Gallows Humor or Black Comedy.
Return to Silly Reason for War