: A character defends humanity by pointing out its strengths.
- Straight: Aliens want to destroy humanity because Humans Are the Real Monsters. Bob attempts to convince them otherwise.
- Exaggerated: Bob states that humanity is superior to all other species in the universe and is morally infallible.
- Downplayed: Bob tries to convince the aliens that humans, although while selfish idiots, don't deserve to die & do have admirable qualities. Because Bob might be a misanthrope, but that doesn't mean he's a Misanthrope Supreme.
- Aliens have put Humanity on Trial and Bob is the defense attorney.
- The person giving the speech to the aliens is Patrick Stewart himself, and he simply recites one of his famous speeches from the show (or ad-libs one on the spot).
- Bob tries to convince the aliens, who have come in peace, that humanity deserves to be wiped out.
- Zork tries to convince the humans, who have come to destroy the aliens, that their species has it's strengths.
- Bob can't think of any good reason to defend humanity.
- Bob starts out defending humanity but it quickly turns into a Humans Are Bastards speech instead.
- Double Subverted:
- A friend comes up with one at the last minute.
- Alternatively, Bob's honesty encourages the aliens to give humans a chance for redemption
- Alternatively, Bob re-affirms his words despite the lack of reasons by explaining that Humans Are Flawed which makes them as special as they are.
- Alternatively, Bob freely acknowledges that Humans Are Bastards, but points out the hypocrisy to the equally flawed alien that wants to wipe us out, who subsequently can't go through with it.
- Bob defends humanity for utterly trivial reasons.
- Bob's speech spirals down into a Shaggy Frog Story
- Zig Zagged: Some of the time, Bob thinks Humans Are Bastards, and sometimes he thinks they are worth defending.
- Averted: Bob makes no attempt to argue why the aliens shouldn't destroy humanity.
- Lampshaded: "You're going to give one of those speeches on why humans are great, aren't you?"
- Invoked: As everyone looks properly doomed Bob says "Hey wait, what if I made a speech about the goodness of humanity?"
- Exploited: The characters know that the story isn't going to turn around for the better until someone stands up and gives an inspiring speech first, Bob takes the initiative.
- Defied :
- Discussed: "Hey what if I tried to reason with the aliens, that might work right?"
- Conversed: "Whenever the aliens invade in movies, there is always someone who will say why we deserve saving."
- Deconstructed: It turns out that Bob is either lying or is clearly deluded.
- Reconstructed: His words still inspire humanity to improve themselves.
Go back to the Patrick Stewart Speech
because the line must be drawn HEAH!