Playing With: Mistaken for Gay
Basic Trope: People thing this/these character(s) is/are homosexual... They're wrong.
Back to Mistaken for Gay
- Straight: Bob and Joe are straight, but Moe thinks by mistake that they are gays.
- Exaggerated: Bob thinks that Moe is asking because he's the one who is gay. Someone else gave Moe the idea, and they think that this other guy is the gay.
- Downplayed: When Bob talks about his girlfriend Jo, some people think she is male.
- The evidence that led Moe to think that Bob and Joe are gays is very specific, such as a "I'm gay" banner, that Moe did not realize that was a prank by someone else.
- The character in question is In Touch with His Feminine Side, (or might even be Camp Straight) so it's quite easy for the uniformed and prejudiced to jump to conclusions and assume that he is gay.
- The character is asexual. However, since people around him/her don't know that fact or just don't buy that explanation, their train of thought goes like this:
1) "He/she has never had a girlfriend/boyfriend".
2) "Therefor, he/she must have had secret intercourse with members of the same sex".
3) "After all, there's no such thing as someone that doesn't like sex, right?!"
- Inverted: Bob is openly gay, but Moe thinks that he's secretly straight.
- Subverted: Moe gets into the room and find Bob over Joe. "Oh, my God, I would have never suspected that... (Dramatic Pause) ...Joe needed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Is he OK?"
- Double Subverted: Moe gets into the room and find Bob over Joe. "Oh, my God, I would have never suspected that... (Dramatic Pause)... Joe needed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Is he OK?" "Hey, I was not giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation!" "Oh, then that means that you are gays. Sorry to interrupt, have fun!"
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Moe gets into the room and find Bob over Joe. He simply ignores them, and does not make any comment about their activities.
- Bob and Joe ARE gay, making asking about i9t or any ideas pointless.
- Enforced: The writers have noticed some Bob/Joe shipping, so add in a little bit just to please the fans.
- Lampshaded: "Joe, I thouth you did that strange thing because you were gay" "Being gay is not a wildcard explanation, I'm straight but that has no relation with what I did"
- Invoked: Moe pretends to understand that Joe is gay to push his Berserk Button
- Exploited: Joe set up clues of him being gay, to avoid people from suspecting his real secret
- Defied: "Let's better stop doing this. If Moe enters to the room now, he would think that we are gays!"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Mistaken for Gay