Playing With: Magic Skirt
: A girl's miniskirt always covers everything, no matter what she's doing.
- Straight: Action Girl Alice fights wearing a Mini Dress Of Power, yet has few, if any, Panty Shots.
- Downplayed: In the one scene when Alice wears a short skirt, it stays in place despite a strong wind.
- Alice's skirt is very tight, so it doesn't move much.
- Alice is wearing shorts or opaque leggings under her skirt, so it can move realistically without revealing anything.
- Alice can control the wind and/or gravity well enough that keeping her skirt in place is no problem.
- Inverted: Alice's skirt shows her underwear all the time, even when a normal skirt would fall down to hide them.
- Subverted: After staying in place for the entire series, Alice's skirt finally flies up during her big climactic fight in the final episode.
- Double Subverted: ...and reveals that Alice has been wearing shorts under her skirt the whole time.
- Alice's skirt completely covers her panties at all times, even when she's viewed from directly beneath.
- Alice's teammates complain about getting constantly flashed during every fight and demand that she do something about it. The next day, they're pleasantly surprised to see that Alice's skirt now inexplicably stays in place and keeps her covered at all times. When asked how she accomplished it, Alice cheerfully reports that she decided to simply go without underwear and let the censors take care of protecting her modesty, since now there's no way they can afford not to.
- Zig Zagged: Alice manages to fight without flashing anyone, but her skirt flies up whenever a gust of wind blows.
- Averted: Alice's skirt moves realistically, underwear shots and all.
- Alice has been wearing the same tiny miniskirt for all seven seasons, and the resulting Panty Shots were never a problem before. But this season, the show is in a pre-Watershed time slot, and the Moral Guardians say that means flashing panties is now a no-no.
- The localization team is adapting a well-known Eroge and needs to reduce the frequency of Panty Shots to reach a wider audience. However, Alice's revealing costume is an iconic part of the game and a major plot point, and changing it may invoke a negative reaction from some of the fans. Instead, the animators edit the offending frames just enough to make sure that she's always covered.
- Trying to maintain interest in a show already crowded with Ms. Fanservice characters giving frequent gratuitous Panty Shots, the writers introduce Alice, who wears a miniskirt that's even shorter than anyone else's yet somehow never quite reveals anything, then drop subtle hints indicating that she never wears any panties. Once the fanbase catches on, suspense and speculation push the ratings higher than ever.
- Lampshaded: After witnessing Alice in action, Bob marvels at the skill it must take to fight in a tiny skirt and still keep everything covered. She responds that the skirt simply does that on its own, as if there's some mysterious invisible force working to protect her modesty.
- Alice tapes her skirt to her legs.
- Alternatively, Alice's skirt has literal magical powers to avoid a Panty Shot.
- Exploited: Alice writes the MacGuffin's secret activation code on her underwear, knowing that's the one place that no one will ever see it.
- Defied: Resentful of getting constantly upstaged by Alice and annoyed at her inexplicable ability to keep her underwear hidden at all times, Brenda decides to get revenge by hiding a large fan under the podium before Alice's big speech. When she turns it on, Alice's skirt and goes flying and finally shows everybody her cute little pink polka-dot panties.
- Discussed: After being forced by her sponsors to wear a highly impractical miniskirt and crop top in the fighting tournament, Alice complains that now people only think of her as "that girl who flashes her panties in every round". Bob points out that if they were on TV she might not have to worry about that sort of thing.
- Conversed: While watching the hilariously awful live-action adaptation of Bob's favorite fighting game Shin pyon-pyon IV, Alice points out to him that it must have taken plenty of editing to keep all the actresses from constantly flashing their panties.
- Deconstructed: Determined to compete in the fighting tournament but not allowed to risk damaging her wholesome public persona or change her highly impractical costume, Alice is forced to sew heavy weights into the hem of her skirt in order to enter.
- Reconstructed: In the final match, Alice's opponent uses a secret technique that magnifies the gravity in the arena, leaving her unable to fight back. But just when everything looks hopeless, the hem of Alice's skirt rips open and all the weights fall out, allowing her to make a comeback. Even though she never bothers to replace her hemweights before the next arc, her skirt continues to behave itself and the issue never comes up again.
Back to Magic Skirt