: Mutant life forms grow on spoiled food in the refrigerator.
- Straight: Bob leaves some leftover lasagna in the fridge and forgets about it for a month. It turns into an Eldritch Abomination that attacks Bob.
- The lasagna grows an entire civilization.
- Experts wearing HAZMAT suits are required to clean Bob's refrigerator. They use flamethrowers.
- The Festering Fungus growing in the crisper drawer spreads out and overtakes the apartment.
- The nasty refrigerator is the least of Bob's worries — his entire apartment is a mess.
- Downplayed: Although a lot of the food in Bob's foul bachelor fridge is moldy, there are no lifeforms above the usual fungus and mold found on many an old food item.
- Bob is a slob and the trope is used to exaggerate how much of a slob he is.
- Bob is a Lethal Chef whose culinary "masterpieces" are like something out of a bad 1950s monster movie.
- Bob's refrigerator has the power to turn leftovers into mutants thanks to a design flaw or Bob trying to fix the refrigerator.
- Inverted: Eldritch Abominations are placed into the fridge and turn into acceptable food.
- Subverted: Bob makes an effort to use up food before it spoils.
- Double Subverted: But he forgets to change the baking soda, and a Monster of the Week emerges.
- The Eldritch Abomination becomes Bob's new pet — right after it eats his dog (or cat).
- The lasangna people worship Bob, sculpting an idol of him out of solidified mashed potatoes.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: ???
- Enforced: Guys are Slobs, Monster of the Week, Gross Out Show
- Lampshaded: "Hey, Bob, do you mind if I get rid of this, or are you doing a science project on the regenerative properties of three-month-old tuna casserole?"
- Invoked: Bob is very forgetful, and puts a Tupperware container in the fridge.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob reminds himself to clean the fridge at least every couple of months and not allow food to stay in the fridge more than a week or two. He also keeps the fridge and freezer at a low enough temperature to keep micro-beasties at bay.
- Discussed: "It's a wonder Bob hasn't died of food poisoning!"
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Obviously, it presents a real health hazard.
Back to It Came from the Fridge