Playing With: If I Can't Have You
: One character loves another and, upon being rejected, tries to kill them.
- Straight: Bob loves Alice a great deal... so when she picks Charlie instead, he kills her for her "betrayal".
- Exaggerated: Alice smiles at one of Charlie's jokes. Bob burns her alive.
- Downplayed: Bob loves Alice a great deal... so when she picks Charlie instead, Bob spreads mean rumors about both Alice and Charlie, causing them to break up
- Justified: Bob has been betrayed by the people he cares about his entire life, and after he learns that Alice isn't interested in him, he finally snaps.
- Alice breaks up with Charlie to be with Bob, and Bob kills her for hurting Charlie.
- Bob is so heartbroken that Alice doesn't return his affections for him, he takes his own life.
- Double Subverted:
- ...Except he was lying and slits Alice's throat in her sleep, but at least wanted her to die happy.
- ...Alternately, Bob is a Magnificent Bastard and the entire thing was a ploy to impress Alice with his apparent maturity, and he patiently waits until a few weeks after the wedding, before quietly arranging for Charlie to have an "accident" and die, before immediately going to comfort Alice in her loss, knowing that the last guy wins.
- Except that Alice realizes just how far Bob is willing to go, and is so terrified of being killed that she plays along with it.
- Bob winds up shooting himself instead, and Alice rushes over and holds him as he dies. While she's caught off guard, however, he shoots her so that they can be Together in Death.
- Parodied: Bob attempts to off Alice and Charlie during their date, in increasingly ridiculous ways that keep backfiring.
- Zig Zagged: Bob is a Stalker with a Crush who borders on Yandere. At first, Alice appears to be Squicked out by this behavior, but then turns out to be a Nightmare Fetishist who finds it endearing. Except that she doesn't take his threats seriously. After a drunken one-night stand with Charlie, she wakes up to find Bob standing over them with a butcher's knife and a Slasher Smile. Turns out he's understanding enough to let Alice live because she was drunk and wouldn't have cheated on him were she sober... but then he goes berserk on Charlie for "tempting/corrupting her". This firsthand evidence of Bob's psychosis disturbs Alice so deeply that he rejects him out of sheer terror, this time sending him completely over the edge...
- Alice and Bob have a healthy relationship.
- Alice cheats on Bob, and he does nothing more drastic than break off the relationship.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Alice, I wouldn't date Bob if I were you. He's a little too possessive for his own good. And for yours."
: "If you don't fucking
love me Alice, I swear I'll kill you! No one deserves you in here but me!"
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob is commiserating with his friend Dave about Alice and Charlie's new relationship when Dave suggests revenge. Bob is horrified at the Disproportionate Retribution.
- Discussed: "Ever notice how Bob starts fingering that knife whenever Alice is chatting with some other guy?"
- Conversed: ???