Playing With: Greedy Jew
Basic Trope: People of Jewish descent are motivated primarily by Greed and only care about themselves.
Back to Greedy Jew
- Straight: Joe Jewishguy works for a Fiction 500 company and embezzles millions of dollars.
- Exaggerated: Joe will do anything for cold, hard cash, up to and including murdering his own family.
- Downplayed: All Jews Are Cheapskates
- Joe has understandable psychological reasons for acting the way he does. He lost everything and everyone he cared about before due to a pogrom. Now he compulsively gathers money as it is the only thing that brings him a sense of security and beyond and no one left to care about and has no faith left in humanity to temper it.
- Joe grew up very poor. He lived on the Wrong Side of the Tracks, and his family sometimes didn't have enough to eat, let alone enough to buy cool toys. Joe works ambitiously to build a better life for himself and his family, hoping his kids will be better off than he was. To that end, he puts in a lot of overtime at work, stockpiles canned goods, and is obsessed with saving money.
- Joe Jewishguy lives a quiet, simple life, and donates most (or even all) of his money to charity.
- Greg Gentileman embezzles millions from the company he works for.
- Joe Jewishguy has a reputation as an Honest Corporate Executive and Reasonable Authority Figure in the bank he works for because of how often he's willing to work around the rules for the good of those struggling, and never does the same for early payment.
- Joe Jewishguy has a lot of money, but he gives generously to charity.
- Joe has a lot of money, but he's kind and helpful
- Joe is just doing his job as a banker/lender.
- Double Subverted:
- He is motivated more by a desire for tax credits than generosity.
- But he still likes living "the good life," and he puts in crazy hours at work (sometimes at the expense of his family time) get ahead in the rat race.
- He charges a lot of interest (although in his defense, most of the proceeds go towards keeping his lending business going.)
- Parodied: The local synagogue is actually just a cover for a casino.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Joe Jewishguy is The Everyman, or just not developed enough for the audience to discern his level of ambition.
- Enforced: National Stereotypes
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Joe takes a prestigious job, and he can afford to buy nice things for himself and his family...and becomes "hooked" on having money.
- Exploited: ???
- Joe realizes that his personal and spiritual life will suffer if all he's concerned with is Money, Dear Boy, and manages his time for optimum work-life balance. (This, in turn, helps keep career burnout at bay, too.)
- Alternatively, Joe decides he doesn't need a lot of money to be happy, so he sells his house and car, rents a cheap apartment, and lives life doing something for personal satisfaction more than a paycheck.
- Discussed: "What a dumb stereotype. Who doesn't like money?"
- Conversed: The heroes watch a propaganda film by a white supremacist group, and comment on the anti-Semitic stereotypes it portrays.
Back to Greedy Jew