Playing With: Failure Hero
Basic Trope: A hero who never wins, thus neuters any tension that involves him.
Back to Failure Hero
- Straight: Bob never wins any fights he's in so the fans no longer care about them.
- Bob's fights manages to put all who watch to sleep, as they wonder just how long before he gets his eventual asskicking.
- Downplayed: Bob is capable of victories, including several minor ones. However, his ultimate goals rarely get resolved, and if they are, he needs help, because he is not strong enough on his own.
- Justified: Fans can only invest their time in watching Bob Taking Levels In Bad Ass before it becomes pointless.
- Inverted: Invincible Hero.
- Subverted: Bob still loses in every fight he's in, but fans, who still find Hope Spots still watch to see if he can finally win.
- Double Subverted: ...Only to find that these so-called Hope Spots only lead to disappointment.
- Bob's fights are so boring even his opponent falls asleep.
- Bob's a Boisterous Weakling, who cannot comprehend he's nowhere near as strong as he talks himself up to be, and watching the idiot get creamed is part of the gag.
- Zig Zagged: Bob's fights start off as usual (getting his ass kicked), but Hope Spot after Hope Spot brings up the possibility that it may go different this time, only for it to be business as usual.
- Averted: Bob is actually a decent fighter with his fair share of wins and losses.
- Enforced: The writers do their best to make Bob's losing battle as least interesting as possible.
- Lampshaded: "Why does he even bother fighting, he's just going to get his ass kicked!"
- Invoked: "There is no way I can win. I'm not even gonna try".
- Exploited: Bob's ally Alice starts planning around his failures, figuring he's going to screw it up anyway.
- Defied: Not only does Bob train everyday to avoid losing, but he adds a few flashy moves to his style, just to keep people interested.
- Discussed: "Why do you let Bob fight, you know he's just gonna get his ass kicked!"
- Conversed: "Why do you even bother? You just get your ass kicked every time!"
- Implied: We don't see the fight onscreen, but only Bob slinking back dejected and wounded, while Alice just [[Facepalm nurses her forehead in her hands]] and says "Again?"
- Reconstructed: But fans come to respect him for, despite how predictable his fights are, trying to fight against opponents who he has no chance of winning.
- Plotted A Good Waste: Bob constantly loses every fight he's in to the point where he's seen as useless and not a threat in order for his enemies to lower their guard around him. Giving him the perfect opportunity to go all out on his enemies at their most vulnerable.
Back to Failure Hero