Playing With: Evil Is Not a Toy
Basic Trope: Trying to manipulate an evil device won't work out to the user's advantage.
Back to Evil Is Not a Toy
- Straight: Bob uses Artifact of Doom to doom Alice, but it dooms him instead.
- Exaggerated: Instead of simply backfiring, it causes Bob to experience a fate worse than death.
- Downplayed: For attempting to use the evil device Bob is cursed with evil eyebrows for a day.
- Justified: The Artifact of Doom is evil and so it will obviously turn on Bob just as easily as Alice.
- Inverted: Good is not a toy. Trying to use holy powers doesn't work since it judges its user by the same judgment it brings forth.
- Subverted: The Artifact of Doom appears to turn on Bob and destroy him, but it actually turns him into a One-Winged Angel so he can doom Alice with his own hands.
- Double Subverted: After transforming, Bob is quickly overcome by the evil mind within the Artifact of Doom and forever trapped within his own mind.
- Bob has a full selection of Evil devices, which he is testing to determine which are toys and which aren't.
- Some varieties of My Little Panzer, where evil is literally a toy and possess a "choking hazard" so to speak.
- Zig Zagged: Bob uses the Artifact of Doom and it backfires, but he survives and finds another device, vowing to be more careful. He uses it for longer than the first one but it ultimately backfires like the first. With evil devices, you can never be too careful.
- Averted: Bob decides not to tempt fate and leaves the device alone.
- Enforced: The author wants to demonstrate that evil is self-destructive and so he has the evil device backfire on the villain.
- Lampshaded: Bob's sidekick tells him that he really shouldn't use the Artifact of Doom, if for no other reason, then because of the name it was given.
- Invoked: Josh, Bob mentor, knows that Bob will be attracted to use the evil devices, so he uses the less damaging ones as a test for Bob.
- Exploited: Instead of trying to stop Bob, the heroes simply watch from a distance knowing that getting close isn't the best idea.
- Defied: Bob adds the "Will not backfire" mod to the artifact.
- Discussed: "Now Bob, as when we go though the hallway of deadly stuff, don't touch ANYTHING, despite how cool it looks!"
- Conversed: Bob and Alice play a board game. Bob thinks if using the artifact to get ahead is worth it despite only a 1/6 chance of nothing bad happening.
- Implied: "Bob then got his has on the Artifact of Doom... Lets just say that things didn't work out too well for Bob."
- Deconstructed: Some kinds of evil devices have to benefit the user or evil people wouldn't last long.
- Reconstructed: The evil devices safely provide benefits to the user for a limited period of time. After that, you get This Is Your Brain on Evil.
- Plotted A Good Waste: Alice destroyed the artifact of doom before it gets used.
- Played For Laughs: The Artifact of doom explodes on Bob sending him flying off into the distance.
- Played For Drama: Alice tries to tell Bob that the artifact is not the correct way to satisfy his desire for revenge.
Back to Evil Is Not a Toy