Playing With: Defeat by Modesty
Basic Trope: A fighter of either gender (though usually female) calls off the fight when she ends up fully or near naked.
Back to Defeat by Modesty
- Straight: Alice and Bianca are fighting in a tournament. Bianca accidentally (or intentionally) rips off Alice's top. Alice, rather than continuing the fight, gives up.
- Alice gives up when her shoe gets removed.
- Alice has a Naked Freak-Out when her entire skin gets removed
- Downplayed: Both are generously covered but Bianca manages to damage the strap of Alice's chest plate. As Alice tries to readjust her armour in mid-fight, Bianca uses this opening to strike Alice down.
- Underneath all her warrior bravado, Alice really is modest and ending up naked in front of leering eyes is her greatest fear.
- Alice's clothes give her the power to fight. If they get slashed or removed, she becomes weak.
- The clothes Alice was wearing were armor.
- Subverted: Alice is stripped naked and is initially embarrased but continues fighting regardless
- Double Subverted: Bianca still wins because the judges disqualify Alice.
- The fight is no better than a foxy-boxing match mixed with a cat-fight and everyone knows it. The winner is whichever female fighter ends up naked first.
- Before the match, Bianca tells her male friends that she's heard tell that her opponent Alice (the sexiest, most beautiful fighter in the league) has one weakness — she won't fight if someone rips off her clothes. The male fighters hoot and holler in lecherous anticipation — until we go to a Whip Pan of ".Alice". — a short, fat, hairy, disgusting, androgynous troll in Stripperific battle armor.
- The fight turns into an Overly Long Gag in which Bianca tries to remove Alice's armor, but discovers that she dresses in a crazy amount of layers. Bianca calls off the rest of the fight because of how monotonous stripping her has become.
- Zig Zagged: Alice wears a flimsy strapless sundress for her fight with Bianca. Unable to pass up the opportunity, Bianca quickly and easily pulls it completely off, exposing Alice in front of everyone. Alice shrieks and covers herself, but the the judges disqualify Bianca for using an illegal move. Seeing all of this, Alice's friend Charlotte borrows the sundress to wear for for her own match. However, since she isn't used to fighting in it she accidentally trips over the hem and rips the whole thing off before her opponent can even do anything. This time Charlotte is the one who's disqualified for losing her clothes.
- Bianca doesn't think of removing Alice's clothes.
- Alice's clothes don't come off during the fight.
- Alice doesn't care.
- Enforced: The ratings are slipping and the writers know that Sex Sells, so this week's villain gets an anti-clothing cannon.
- Lampshaded: "Why did I wear such a flimsy outfit for this fight anyway?".
- Invoked: Bianca is a big fan of Fighting Dirty, and she knows Alice is very modest and can't stand being seen naked, so she focuses her attacks on Alice's outfit.
- Exploited: Candice, who knows both Bianca and Alice, finds out that they're scheduled to fight each other in the tournament and immediately decides to bet on Bianca.
- Alice fights in non-revealing and sturdy armor.
- Bianca manages to grab Alice's top, but Alice simply slips out of it and finishes Bianca off before she can react.
- Bianca manages to rip off Alice's top, but it just drives her into an Unstoppable Rage.
- Alice goes in nude, so there's nothing to rip off.
- Discussed: "And Barbara goes for Alice's top! What a fight this turned out to be!".
- Conversed: "Why'd Alice stop fighting? Everyone's already seen her boobs".
- Implied: Charlotte finds out that Alice is scheduled to fight Bianca next, so she suggests that Alice wear something sturdier than last time.
- Played For Laughs: Naked People Are Funny
- Played For Drama: Being naked triggers traumatic memories in Alice of being raped, sending her into a Heroic BSOD.
Back to Defeat by Modesty