Playing With: Dark Is Not Evil
: Characters or creatures which could be described as "dark" are on the side of good.
- A group that look like demons from Hell are protecting a human nursery.
- A Necromancer who learned how to summon the undead with the intent of sending them to do dangerous jobs, such as mining, so the living would not be at risk.
- Exaggerated: An entire planet of demons from Hell is in every other way a Sugar Bowl.
- Inverted: Dark Is Evil/Light Is Not Good
- Double Subverted:
- A race of noble but scary looking creatures in deep cover for the Big Bad join the other side when it turns out that the Big Bad was lying.
- The mob-eaters are revealed to have become He Who Fights Monsters; the ones not part of people munchers are still good, and deal with their wayward comrades accordingly.
- Parodied: A race of demons from Hell wear "We aren't evil" t-shirts, fight crime, and have a theme song all about how they're not evil.
- Zig Zagged:
- Enforced: The writers want to teach the lesson "never judge a book by its cover."
- Lampshaded: "I just assumed you were a..." "A demon? Was it the horns or the leathery wings?"
- Invoked: A Mole who appears to be a demonic creature plays on the All-Loving Hero's good nature to convince everyone that the only evil thing about him is his appearance.
- Exploited: The darkness part is part of a Zero-Approval Gambit.
- Defied: A race of demons from Hell strive to live up to their fiendish appearance.
- Discussed: "What, you assume we're evil just because of the red horns, forked tail and pitchfork? What's wrong with you?"
- Conversed: "Whoever designs all these races must have a twisted sense of humour".
- Reconstructed: Because they're not evil but everyone assumes they are, some of the most noble and good act as ambassadors to change public perception of their race.
Go see Dark Is Not Evil
. Don't worry, he's a great trope once you get to know him.