Playing With: Church Militant
Basic Trope: Clergy also kick bad guy ass.
Back to Church Militant
- Straight: Father Robert, a priest of Our Lady of Badass, can hold his own against an attacker, and has been trained to do so by his order.
- Father Robert uses a submachine gun that's in the shape of a cross, standard issue for clergy.
- He recites scriptures and damnation upon his enemies whilst kicking their asses.
- The whole congregation spends every Sunday drilling in full combat gear.
- Father Robert's congregation can outfight the Spetznaz and would regularly do so. Except that they prefer having more challenging opponents.
- Every church potluck is celebrated with a vampire hunt. Conducted by little girls. With their hands tied to be sporting.
- Other congregations pray to be delivered from the deceits of the devil. Satan prays for deliverence from Father Robert's church.
- The Church has military orders and such, but hardly ever uses it or uses it in conjunction to temporal rulers on limited basis. Essentially the reasonable authority figure of the setting with a rather large stick.
- Members of the Church carry symbolic weapons and train in martial arts as a reminder of their struggle against their lower nature.
- Our Lady of Badass was founded by a former Badass Preacher who defected from a more peaceable church, and created an organization of fighting clergy to protect the masses from a rising ancient evil. Robert is the latest of The Chosen Many.
- The Church doubles as a military force (especially when it comes to fighting the Legions of Hell).
- They worship a War God, who demands battlefield sacrifice and accepts only those who die by the sword into Warrior Heaven.
- They are from a sect that was once the victim of persecution and does not intend to be so again.
- The Church serves a community on a bloodstained frontier between two rival Empires. War is a necessary part of survival and the Church's practices will reflect it.
- Inverted: Robert is a warrior for The Enlightenment, a brotherhood of militant atheists who seek out and destroy all traces of religion.
- Subverted: Father Robert is an elderly priest who preaches peace.
- Double Subverted: But when the Legions of Hell knock at his door, he also turns-out to be a Badass Grandpa.
- Zig Zagged: Father Robert's Church preaches charity toward humankind. But many of the congregation are personnel from a nearby base and some are veterans including Father Robert himself. Father Robert often uses military metaphors but emphasizes that their true fight is against the devil and their lower natures. But then an evil from beyond time appears and opens the doorway to the lower realms. Father Robert's Church then takes up arms and leads the fight to defend the world.
- Averted: Father Robert doesn't fight bad guys.
- Enforced: "We don't want Robert to be an albatross around the neck of our Five-Man Band. Let's have him kick ass!"
- Lampshaded: "Sort of odd beating up mooks with you being a priest, huh, Father Bob?"
- Invoked: The heroes hire Robert in hopes of him being a fighter, since Our Lady Of Badass is Famed In-Story.
- Defied: Father Robert refuses to fight, instead serving as a healer exclusively, which baffles his fellow priests.
- Discussed: "Watch out for the priest! He'll undoubtedly be trained in some sort of martial art!"
- Conversed: "Father Robert sure fights a lot on this show, being a priest and all".
- Deconstructed: Robert gets kicked out of the church when his fellows deem his methods too violent.
- Reconstructed: Robert comes up against a review panel of bishops, furious at what he's done, but he defends his actions with scripture on the subject of acceptable violence, and talks several of them round to his side. They have no choice but to throw him out of the church, but they suggest he continue his work as a Cowboy Preacher.
Back to Church Militant