Playing With: A Hell of a Time
: Hell turns out to be a fun place to be around
- Straight: Character goes to hell, doesn't suffer the torments, uses the pit of eternal fire to keep his feet warm, has a party with the Seven Deadly Sins.
- Exaggerated: Everyone goes to hell and indulges in every sin, turns Hell into a World of Badass, has parties also known as orgies all the time, has lots of sex with the Horny Devils.
- Downplayed: While most of Hell is just as horrific as advertised, if you can get into management, you get to live in the decadent luxury suites and party.
- Inverted: Character goes to Heaven and finds it awful and boring.
- A character goes to hell, gets shown rooms with various affairs that are actually quite nice, gets reminded that these are for the people the Devil likes and then gets shoved in a torture chamber.
- Ironic Hell
- Double Subverted: As above but then the character realises he doesn't have a body anymore and the torture doesn't hurt, or he likes the torture.
- Parodied: Hell is a party also known as an orgy and The Devil is a really prissy, preening host in a cocktail dress who is overly concerned with your well being.
- Zig Zagged: Hell turns out to be a huge party, but the food causes extreme pain. The Devil admits he had made a mistake and cures everyone's pain, but accidentally takes out some of their organs. Eventually, people regrow them, and the party continues...
- Averted: Hell is the fiery torture chamber it is usually known as.
- Enforced: The Execs want a Darker and Edgier show with some demon characters and the trip to hell is just an excuse to get them to join the band of protagonists.
- Lampshaded: "Wow, it's like the Devil made a version of hell designed to just disagree with the Bible."
- Invoked: The devil is trying to win his war against heaven, and needs all the followers he can corrupt, so he stops torturing people and starts giving them a reason to follow him while corrupting them in the process.
- Exploited: Striking down Emperor Evulz, Bob tells him, "I hope you rot in hell." Evulz just chuckles at this and goes out with a smile.
- Defied: "You are in Hell and by the Lightbringer you are going to hate it here!"
- Discussed: Yeah, he tends to do that...
- Conversed: "Eventually, someone would rather choose the wretched hive instead of spending an eternity of boredom with those Fundamentalists.''
- The torments are far more subtle than a Lake of Fire, but over time (which the damned have nothing but) prove at least as effective.
- Imagine being at a party where every rapist, cannibal, spree killer, mass murderer, and all the most heinous criminals to have ever walked the face of the earth were invited. Now imagine you can never leave.
- The lawless party becomes a groundwork for widespread anarchy and the creation of a Wretched Hive, causing the people to lose all inhibitions and become more corrupt and shameless and less peaceful, eventually making them maltreat and/or rape each other, torment the weaker inhabitants and generally becoming mutual jerkasses in an orgy of Social Darwinism. It's revealed that the eternal punishment is not the Lake of Fire, and that Real Hell Is Other People.
- The mindless party causes the inhabitants to become mindless animals themselves.
- Mindless Hedonism actually gets boring after a few hundreds of years. The people in Heaven, however, having become drones, no longer feel negative emotions like boredom and frustration and are actually content with their afterlife.
- The complexities of the ironies of torments and chaos make the underworld as complex as mortal life and ultimately becomes just as under your control over how it turns out. Everybody ends up making an underworld not unlike the overworld including its good times.
- No matter how much of a Wretched Hive it is, Hell's conflicts and complexities will still allow for all varieties of creativity, ideas and/or tropes to flow in, be played and interact in interesting ways, especially when compared to the monotony of heaven.
We hope you have A Hell of a Time
at the Styx Riverwalk and the Bottomless Bar-B-Q Pit!