Nightmare Fuel / Sonic.exe
"Ready for Round 2, Tom?"
- The Nightmare Face at the end of Sonic's level in Version 5 is arguably creepier than the "I AM GOD" picture; this face makes Sonic look like some kind of a wolf/werehog/canine with a slasher smile. This is the image, by the way.
- If the U.S. version of Sonic CD's Game Over music gave you nightmares, expect night terrors after hearing the Sonic.exe version of it accompanied with Sonic's gruesomely mutilated victims.
- Said Game Over screen shows Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik's severed heads on wooden stakes with their eyes ripped out. Special mention goes to Knuckles' body for being hung by his entrails. From the sky, no less.
- The background for this Game Over screen is taken from the ending of third episode of DOOM. Which was itself terrifying.
- Thankfully, this Game Over screen has been gone since Version 666. Instead, it is replaced with another nightmarish image, which features Sonic.exe looming over Tails, who has a terrified expression on his face. Dear God...
- Sonic's level in Version 5. You have to run through a static, empty void that turns into the seizure-inducing Giygas background with the persistent screaming of somebody being tortured throughout.
- In An Ordinary Sonic 1 ROM Hack, when Sonic is warped into EXE's world, the only way out is to break item monitors. If you happen to reach the end of a level while in dark world mode, instead of the goal, you'll find him just laying on the floor, smirking. Even if you walk into him, he does nothing but stare through the fourth wall until his chase mode starts. Better hope the bastard doesn't get you into an unwinnable situation!
- Have you ever wondered what Sonic.exe would look like in real life? No? Then don't click this link.
- David Near's voiceover for Sonic.exe. He taunts you in one of the creepiest ways possible about how he'll catch you and make you suffer, and ends the video delivering his classic catchphrase followed by an unholy Evil Laugh.