Music / Waking The Cadaver
Waking The Cadaver were an American Deathcore band, playing in the vein of Slam Death Metal
bands like Devourment. Ironically, the band's rise in popularity had begun with a Misheard Lyrics
video sometime back even before they even made their debut. Since then, they moved away from the slam stereotypes and their variety of death metal/deathcore has moved to a more tradtional NYDM sound ala bands like Suffocation and Dying Fetus.
They formed under the name Death To Honor befroe the name change in 2006. In that same year, they released their infamous two-track demo that would be the center of said video that would forever change them.
For Reasons unexplained, they split up in 2014. Campan is currently part of Hate Diplomacy along with members of Dehumanized, while Hartman is still going strong with his main band Mortal Decay (a longtime NJDM stalwart), and former guitarist Rob Wharton has been having a decent amount of success with Cognitive. The rest have not done much since then.
- Don Campan — Vocals (2006–14)
- Mike Mayo — Guitar (2008–14)
- John Hartman — Guitar (2011–14)
- Alex Sarnecki — Bass (2006–14)
- Dennis Morgan — Drums (2006–14)
- Perverse Recollections of A Necromangler (2007)
- Beyond Cops, Beyond God (2010)
- Real-Life Death (2013)
The band provides examples of the following tropes:
- Careful with That Axe: The vast majority of their vocals.
- Darker and Edgier: For most other deathcore bands.
- Genre-Busting: Best described as a Slam Death, deathcore and hardcore mixed in the same blender.
- Gorn: The lyrics are mostly just straight up violence on Beyond Cops...
- Harsh Vocals: Mostly pig squeals on the first album, with later works switching to more traditional death growls.
- Hip-Hop: While Don denies being fans of said music, the psuedo-rapped lyrics say otherwise.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: All over the place on the first album. Subsequent albums manage to be slightly more intelligible.
- Jerkass: Don Campan in his younger days. Time has made him a subversion.
- Metal Scream: Campan is a mix of Type 1 and Type 2, sporting a mix of gurgling lows and heavily hardcore-inflected bellowing mids.
- Misogyny Song: Played straight with the first album (as one might have guessed from such song titles as "Chased Through the Woods By a Rapist"). Averted with Beyond Cops, Beyond God and Real-Life Death, which focused more on general misanthropy and "Tough Guy" lyrics.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Usually a 10 or 11. Justified in that they have slam influences. Even when they moved away from slam, they still sound much heavier than the average deathcore.
- New Sound Album: Beyond Cops has a more standard Brutal Death Metal sound, with the slams being downplayed in favor of faster riffs.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: One of the most frequently mocked aspects of the band is their very wigger-ish appearance.
- Rated M for Manly: Aimed for this later as their lyrical theme, mostly of the Unstoppable Rage variety.
- Slam Death Metal.
- Start My Own: Rob Wharton (who played on Beyond Cops, Beyond God) did this with Cognitive. Subverted with Hate Diplomacy, as they had been around since Dimas Mendez was living in Puerto Rico and gained Campan (along with the rest of the lineup) much later on; they just weren't visibly active until at least 2015.