Music: The Goodies
Guitar guitar hum humThe Goodies weren't just a comic trio, they had a number of hits in the mid-'70s eventually peaking at #4 with Funky Gibbon. Although credited to The Goodies most of these recordings were Bill's songwriting, vocals and, in the vein of his favorite genre, Funk.
open/close all folders
Sing Songs From The Goodies
|1||All Things Bright And Beautiful|
|2||Ride My Pony|
|3||Stuff That Gibbon|
|4||Mummy I Don't Like My Meat|
|5||Show Me The Way|
|8||Taking You Back|
|N/A||"Butterfly" (Sparrow Song reprise)|
The New Goodies LP
|2||Please Let Us Play|
|5||Good Ole Country Music|
|7||Rock With A Policeman|
|8||The Cricklewood Shakedown|
|10||I'm A Teapot|
|11||Working The Line|
Nothing To Do With Us
|1||Policeman's Opera |
(A major Work in four parts-with a couple of bits in between)
|Aria-"She Does Not Exist"|
|Rhapsody In Blue|
|2||Cactus In My Y-Fronts|
|5||I Wish I Could Get High|
|7||She Wouldn't Understand|
|8||I Wish I Had Something To Say|
|2||Taking My Oyster For Walkies|
|3||Spring Spring Spring|
|5||A Man's Best Friend Is His Duck|
|6||Spank That Hamster|
|8||Ironing My Goldfish|
|10||There's A Walrus In My Soup|
|11||Why Doesn't An Elephant Go Tweet Tweet?|
|12||I Am A Carnivore|
|13||Elephant Joke Song|
- The Inbetweenies
- Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me
- The Funky Gibbon (a very slightly different version to the one found on "The New Goodies LP")
- Sick-Man Blues
- Black Pudding Bertha
- Make A Daft Noise For Christmas
- The Last Chance Dance
- M*I*C*K*E*Y M*O*U*S*E
Bill's Music Tropes
- Album Intro Track: "Goodies Theme" from "The New Goodies LP"
- Album Title Drop: Baby Samba"...while our boring old mothers were buying Jensen Interceptors, caviar "New Goodies LP" that sort of thing..."
- All Drummers Are Animals: Bill played percussion on the albums
- A Day in the Limelight: Bill occasionally passed the mic to his two co-stars...
- Graeme sung: "Stuff That Gibbon", receives first credit on "Sparrow Song", "Good Ole Country Music", "Blowin' Off". Graeme actually wrote "Sparrow Song" and, therefore, its reprise "Butterfly".
- Tim sung: "Mummy I Don't Like My Meat", "Winter Sportsman", "Please Let Us Play", narrated the intro to "Baby Samba", "Cactus In My Y-Fronts", "I Wish I Had Something To Say"
- "Beastly Record" features a much more even spread of performances from Bill, Tim and Graeme.
- Book Ends. The melody of "All Things Bright And Beautiful", the first song on their first album and début single, is reprised in "I Am A Carnivore" which is the penultimate song on the final album. It was kind of Bill's way of saying goodbye to a fantastic 5-year discography.
- Christmas Songs: Two
- Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me
- Make A Daft Noise For Christmas
- Concept Album: Beastly Record contains songs about animals.
- Cover Version: Famously "Wild Thing"
- "All Things Bright And Beautiful" really is its own song but the melody and lyrics are, of course, much the same!
- M*I*C*K*E*Y M*O*U*S*E which is arranged in typical Goodies funk style
- Dance Sensation: Funky Gibbon became one when The Goodies went on The Top of the Pops
- Ear Worm. If the incidental music doesn't stick in your head then nothing else will!
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: "The Funky Gibbon" — the greatest novelty hit of The Goodies. This obsession with primates, especially gibbons, was a carryover from Im Sorry Ill Read That Again, which featured such musical numbers as "Stuff That Gibbon" (used as background music to some of the film sequences in the early series of The Goodies).
- Face of the Band: Bill
- Fake Band: Although Bill played percussion and Graeme contributed banjo once or twice all the musicians were reputable session musicians.
- Genre Roulette: Although their albums mostly contained funk there were strong Country & Western, ballads, rock, both Beatlesque and standard pop, and, in the case of Beastly Record, trad jazz songs.
- Genre Shift. Goodies albums contained a wide variety of genres concurrent with the contemporary music of the time or recent times gone by. However there are a couple of songs which deserve a mention:
Pig's Lament: RockDreadcop's Comin': ReggaeThird Bit: Bee Gees-like DiscoPhotofit Love: FunkShe Does Not Exist: by its own admission an AriaRhapsody In Blue: Rock againFinale: Harder Rock
- The Policeman's Opera from "Nothing To Do With Us"
- "I Wish I Had Something To Say" goes from pop ballad on Tim's verses to funk and then reggae on Bill's bridges.
- Heavy Mithril: Taking You Back. Although possibly written to parody the recent fantasy-oriented rock, this song really does stand up on its own."Back to the ages of peasants and pages"
- Lyric Swap: "Please Let Us Play". The 3rd verse echoes the 1st - the singers have become famous."Please Let Us Play - NO! NO! NO!""We don't want money - just don't send us away"becomes in the 3rd chorus"Please Let Us Play - YES! YES! YES!""We've got money - and they don't send us away"
- Metal Scream: All Things Bright And Beautiful, Custard Pie, etc.
- New Sound Album: Beastly Record mostly has 1930s-esque songs on it.
- Non-Appearing Title:
- "Goodies Theme" obviously
- "The Last Chance Dance" by the skin of its enamoured enamel
- "The Policeman's Opera" (and several of its parts too!)
- "Elizabeth Rules-U.K!" unsurprisingly
- "Funky Farm" being an instrumental and all
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: All of the music recorded for the show. All of the killer funk recorded with Michael Gibbs and Dave Macrae. Most of it is in mono and has a laugh track over it so listening to it is unsatisfactory.
- One-Hit Wonder: in the USA, where the only Goodies song that charted, briefly, was Funky Gibbon. Apparently the US Dance and Disco Chart took it as a straight disco number played for real and a real dance craze. It took them a while to work it out...
- Oop North: Black Pudding Bertha (she's the queen of northern soul, y'know)
- Pun: Bill uses these with abandon
- Lampshaded in "I Am A Carnivore" where Bill reels off 14 meat-based puns. What a rump-us!
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!. Done on two songs intentionally.
G (Gee) you need a helping handO (Oh) you know we'll understandO we'll give right to the endD we'll show you definitelyY (Why) you should employ us three
- Goodies Theme
G (Gee) the world would be goodI (I) know how nice it couldB (Be) with just a bit of Gibbon takeB just like that GibbonO (Oh) feel the rhythmN (aNd) you'll groove and dance up to the planet of the apes
- Funky Gibbon
- Record Producer: For the most part Miki Antony
- Rearrange the Song: "Goodies Theme" got a spring-clean every series or so...
- Most of the tracks from "Sings Songs From The Goodies" are rerecorded songs from the first three series of the show. "Taking You Back", while appearing in "Camelot" (the first episode of the fourth series), actually came from the episode's original session tape. In track order:
|Ride My Pony||Hunting Pink||24||3|
|Stuff That Gibbon||That Old Black Magic||26||3|
|Mummy I Don't Like My Meat||Superstar||29||3|
|Show Me the Way||Snooze||2||1|
|Goodies Theme||(title sequences)||23-36||3+4|
|Winter Sportsman||Winter Olympics||25||3|
- "The Funky Gibbon" has the same chords as "Goodies Theme"
- "Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me" is set to the tune of "Battle Hymn Of The Republic"
- Recurring Riff: The brass intro to "The Funky Gibbon" may sound familiar as might the guitar intro to "The Inbetweenies". (Goody goody yum yum!)
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Bill used to rerecord Tim and Graeme's backing vocals late into the night. He put his voice through a studio harmonizer so they couldn't tell the difference.
- Singer Songwriter: Bill really fits this to a tee. Not only was he totally serious about it all he has a voice that really does deserve its own recognition.
- In fact, he did release a couple of straight pop singles in the middle 1960's; a record company thought he had the looks and the voice to make it work.
- Singer Namedrop: Baby Samba
"Oo look at Tim ... You be like him"
- Tim's little almost-theme song "I'm A Teapot"
- Something Blues: Sick-Man Blues
- The Something Song: Sparrow Song
- Elephant Joke Song
- Song Parody: Oh yes!
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.