Severe Torture are a Dutch Brutal Death Metal band. The band was formed in 1997 by Thijs van Laarhoven on guitar, Seth van de Loo on drums, Erik de Windt on vocals, Jelle on guitar and Patrick Boleij on bass guitar. This lineup recorded a five song demo tape called Baptized in Virginal Liquid, produced by Vincent Dijkers, (Sinister, Houwitser), in 1998. De Windt was replaced by Dennis Schreurs, and with this new line-up the band recorded a two song demo sent out to record labels. After receiving positive reactions, the band went on to play a gig with Immolation; Jelle left the group soon afterwards.The band continued with four members, appearing at the No Mercy 2000 festival in Tilburg, and soon after embarked on their first tour, one of which was with Pyaemia. Shortly after, they recorded their debut album, Feasting on Blood, and to promote the album, they went on a European tour with various other bands to promote their debut. Soon, the sophomore effort, Misanthropic Carnage was released under Hammerheart records, formerly known as The Plague Records. They were also involved in the Ohio Death Feast, along with Deeds of Flesh and Exhumed.It was in 2003 that Marvin Vriesde of Dew-Scented fame would be session guitars before joining full time, contributing to Fall of the Despised and Sworn Vengeance under Earache Records and Slaughtered under Season Of Mist. Currently, they are working on a followup to Slaughtered, due sometime in 2015.
- Dennis Schreurs – vocals (1999-)
- Thijs van Laarhoven – rhythm guitar (1997-)
- Patrick Boleij – bass (1997-)
- Seth van de Loo – drums (1997-)
- Marvin Vriesde – lead guitar (2003-)
Notable Past Members:
- Eric de Windt – vocals (1997–1998)
- Jelle Schuurmans – guitar (1997–1999)
- Feasting on Blood (2000)
- Misanthropic Carnage (2002)
- Fall of the Despised (2005)
- Sworn Vengeance (2007)
- Slaughtered (2010)
- TBA (2015)
Tropes Displayed By Severe Torture:
- Bald of Awesome: Thijs van Laarhoven. Dennis Schreurs eventually followed suit.
- Brutal Death Metal
- Cover Version: "Perverse Suffering" by Cannibal Corpse and "Lost Souls" by Pestilance.
- Gorn: Very Common, generally of the Anti-Christian type
- Important Haircut: Dennis had long hair before shaving to be a Bald of Awesome.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Very much so.
- Lead Bassist: Patrick Boleij is a type A and C.
- Lighter and Softer: Some say this when they got to Fall of the Despised.
- Long Runner Line Up: Type A. Three original members are still playing in the band.
- Miniscule Rocking: "Impelled to Kill" and "Forever to Burn"
- Misanthrope Supreme: Misanthropic Carnage
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 11 on the first two albums, hard 10 afterwards.
- New Sound Album: Fall of the Despised had introduced an Old-School Death Metal touch not unlike Blood Red Throne as well as introducing guitar solos. This is thanks to Marvin Vriesde joining in 2003.
- Religion Rant Song: Much more violent than other examples.
- Signature Style:
- 2000 - 2003: Fast-Paced Brutal Death Metal with dissonant riffs and a raw, gritty production to capture and evil atmosphere.
- 2004 - Present: BDM meets OSDM with chunky, yet fast riffs and use of atmospheric solos that were absent in their older material.
- Special Guest: Jason Netherton doing guest vocals on "Buried Hatchet"
- Spiritual Successor: Often remarked as the Suffocation of Europe.
- Vocal Dissonance: You see that skinny dude over there? That's Dennis. Bet you expected him to sound more high-pitched.
- Vocal Evolution: Dennis's vocals started off VERY low-pitched, but got higher over time and sounded more old-school.