Music / Poe
Poe (real name Annie Decatur Danielewski, 1967-) is an American singer-songwriter. She has released two albums to date, Hello
(1995) and Haunted
featured the modern rock radio hits "Angry Johnny", "Trigger Happy Jack" and "Hello". Haunted
is by far the more notable of the two, despite being less successful commercially. The album is both a tribute to her late fathernote
and a companion piece to her brother Mark
's novel House of Leaves
's most successful single, "Hey Pretty", features Mark reading sections from House of Leaves
in place of verses.
Tropes associated with Poe include:
- All Women Are Prudes: The song "Not a Virgin" goes against this and slut shaming.
- Concept Album: Haunted.
- Fading into the Next Song: More often than not in Haunted.
- Grief Song: If You Were Here.
- Rearrange the Song: When the title track of Hello was released as a single, it was a completely different arrangement that basically changed the genre of the song from trip-hop to Alternative Rock - this was officially known as "Hello (Band Version)", and was also the way she tended to play the song live.
- Then there's the already-mentioned single version of "Hey Pretty": At the time, alternative rock radio was playing few female acts, so when the song was being promoted for radio play, it was found that many stations liked the song, but were reluctant to add it to rotation. In response, she came up with the idea of having Mark Z. Danielewski perform spoken word over the verse sections because, technically, it would then have fewer female vocals.