We cross the land of the rising sun
Hope we’ll be all together
But we all gonna have some fun
And we can conquer all!Heavens Gate (no apostrophe included) is a German Heavy / Power Metal band.The band started out as a more serious outfit named Steeltower (well, as serious as metal can get). After the name-change to Heavens Gate, they gained popularity in Japan and had a semi-succesful career in the late eighties and early nineties thanks to that. Their work in the middle of their career was somewhat humorous and tongue-in-cheek, but their themes gradually darkened before their breakup in 1999.
— "Rising Sun"
- Night of the Dog (1984, as Steeltower)
- In Control (1988)
- Livin' in Hysteria (1991)
- Hell for Sale! (1992)
- Planet E. (1996)
- Menergy (1999)
- Open the Gate and Watch! (1990, EP)
- More Hysteria (1991, EP)
- Live for Sale! (1993, live album)
- In the Mood (1997, EP)
Scroll down the page and read!
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Lord Iron Sword, a recurring character in their first three official albums.
- Breakup Song: "Surrender" from In Control and "Best Days of My Life" from Livin' in Hysteria.
- Children Are Innocent: Theme of the song "The Children Play" (Planet E.).
- Concept Album: Menergy, which is based on computers and technology and their effect on the world.
- Cover Version: They have covered "This Flight Tonight" by Joni Mitchell, "Rock on" by David Essex, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Pythons Life Of Brian, "The Sentinel" by Judas Priest, "Animal" by Lisa Dalbello, "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us" by The Sparks and "A Little Time" by Helloween.
- The Devil Is a Loser: The title song for Hell for Sale! has the Devil trying to sell Hell and starting over.
- Dream Within a Dream: According to "Mastermind" (Menergy), you can find the title character there, watching your life on his computer screen.
- Drugs Are Bad: "White Evil" from Hell for Sale!
- Eagleland: "America" from Hell for Sale! is a scathing take on the subject.
- Epic Rocking: "Shadows" from In Control (6:58), "Medley" from In the Mood (9:40), "Black Religion (The Kings of War)" and "Noah's Dream" from Planet E. (6:59 and 10:06).
- Everything's Louder With Bagpipes: "He's the Man" from Hell for Sale! opens with gaelic bagpipes.
- Gaia's Lament: The namesake song of Planet E.
- G.I.R.L.: After setting up a date with a girl he met online, the protagonist of the song "On My Knees" (Menergy) finds out she's actually a man."Hello champ, my name is Jack!"
- Heavy Meta: Early Heavens Gate revelled in these; "Turn It Down" (In Control), "Can't Stop Rocking", "Flashes" (Livin' in Hysteria) and "Metal Hymn" (More Hysteria).
- Inside a Computer System: Theme of the song "Mastermind" (Menergy).
- Instrumentals: Opening track "The Gate" for In Control and "Fredless" from Livin' in Hysteria.
- Portmantitle: Menergy.
- Power Ballad: "Bring Up the Night" (Night of the Dog), "Best Days of My Life" (Livin' in Hysteria) and "Don't Bring Me Down" (Hell for Sale!).
- Rearrange the Song: More Hysteria features an acoustic version of "Best Days of My Life" (Livin' in Hysteria).
- Additionally, the In the Mood EP is made up from acoustic rearranges of songs from various points of their career.
- Record Producer: After releasing Live for Sale!, guitarist Sascha Paeth took time from the band to work as one.
- Spoken Word in Music: The opening of "The Neverending Fire" (Livin' in Hysteria) and the auction in "Hell for Sale!" (the namesake album).
- Studio Chatter: At the end of the final "Teleshoot" track of Menergy, we can hear the singer Thomas Rettke goofing while trying to sing the chorus of "Breakin' Loose".
- Title Drop: Band's name gets dropped twice in "Gate of Heaven" (Livin' in Hysteria).We're waiting for the Heavens Gate!
- Title Only Chorus: "Thin, Fake and Bold" from More Hysteria.
- To the Tune Of: One part of "Noah's Dream" uses the tune of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" (a popular song during The American Civil War).
- The X of Y: The album Night of the Dog and the songs "Path of Glory" and "Gate of Heaven".