Music: Abingdon Boys School
abingdon boys school
is a J-Rock/Pop band
whose music has been featured on many Japanese-based video games and animated series.
The band began in 2005 when Takanori Nishikawa, known for his pop music as T.M.Revolution
, decided to try his hand at rock music, alongside guitarist Sunao
and Hiroshi Shibasaki. They continued to discuss forming a band until an offer came to record a song for manga series Nana
. The three presented a demo to producer Toshiyuki Kishi who became the fourth member of the band
The band is named after a school in Oxfordshire, the school most known for the location where the band Radiohead
was established. But the band is also named after
frontman Takanori Nishikawa's (and this is completely true
) love of the automobile's "A
ystem" and due to the acronym A.B.S sounding similar to the Tokyo district "Ebisu". Discography:
Notable Themes performed:
abingdon boys school provides examples of:
- all lower case letters: How the band likes to write their name.
- Anime Theme Song: several, see above.
- Audience Participation Song: When they perform live, Takanori will often hold up the mic and let the crowd sing part of or even all of the chorus of a song.
- Breakup Breakout/Putting the Band Back Together: A rather odd variation. Takanori, as well as being ABS's front man, is widely known for his solo career as T.M.Revolution. So at times the band will go on a hiatus, Takanori will go on to succeed in his solo career, and the band will reform a few months later.
- Koji Hasegawa (the drummer) and Hiroshi Shibasaki (one of the guitarists) are both in Toshimi Project.
- Cool Old Guy: See Older Than They Look below.
- Cover Version: Covered the Buck Tick song "Dress" on their first album.
- Which led to this absolutely awesome duet.
- Triple Meaning Title: see above.
- I Am the Band: Abingdon is Takanori Nishikawa's band, without him it just wouldn't work...
- Let's Duet: Performed a duet of their song "蒼焔 -SOUEN-" with UVERworld at the 2010 Inazuma Rock Festival...and it was awesome. See for yourself...
- The aforementioned performance of Dress with Buck Tick frontman Atsushi Sakurai
- Also note this duet with Micro of Home Made Kazoku.
- Man in a Kilt: Often wear them during performances.
- Metal Scream: Takanori can do Type 3 (high-pitched guttural) and Type 4 (wailing but clean) screams.
- Older Than They Look: You'd hardly think these were a bunch of guys in their forties would you?
- See the incredibly young-looking, glasses-wearing Takanori Nishikawa pictured above? He's the oldest member of the band at 43 years old.
- Performance Video: HOWLING, WE aRE, and STRENGTH's P Vs don't have much else.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: A majority of promotional photos (including the one above) feature them in suits. They've yet to perform them though.
- Technician Versus Performer: The two guitarists Hiroshi Shibasaki and SUNAO. SUNAO is often the one who gestures to the audience for shouts.
- Translated Cover Version: They covered their song "Jap" in English and re-released it as "Stealth", but Takanori's accent is so thick good luck understanding it.
- Translation Convention: A majority of their songs feature a Switch to English.
- Visual Kei: They do not explicitly refer to themselves as a VK band, but this is Takanori Nishikawa's project, so expect to see the rest of the band following his image. Also, they are known for playing alongside VK artists and covering some VK songs (see Cover Version, above)