Manga: Gan Kon
Shinta Tagamori, a student who routinely confesses with complete sincerity to any girls that he likes, failing every time with good reason. One day, after another failed attempt, he stumbles upon a strange shrine and ends up making the most important wish of his entire life. A romantic comedy packed with action on a celestial scale.A manga by Kenji Sugarawa.
Tropes in the story
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: In chapter 1, Isana gives this to Shinta to comfort him when it seems that they are about to lose.
- Beautiful All Along: Sano
- Berserk Button: Don't harm happy couples near Shinata. He will be very pissed and attack even the enemy god, which is technically against the rules.
- Blinding Bangs: Sano
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Guardian god Kuebiko's agent Sakura Noto is naturally strong and fast from working on a farm.
- Close-Call Haircut: Shinta is a regular recipient of this.
- Divine Date: Shinta's and Isana's relationship, though it is mostly one-sided on the former's side.
- Double Entendre: When Shinta was talking about the Red String of Fate, everyone else thought he was talking about something else.Shinta:"That is, when there's a little skinship between Isana and I... It'll get bigger due to excitement!!!"
Yorutono, Kasama, and Isana are dumbfounded at what he said.
Isana: "Wh...Wh...Wh...What...You idiot! What...What gets bigger...? What are you saying...?"
Shinta: "Ah...The red string, of course."
- Improbable Weapon User: The agents of the gods fight using the power of their wish. The more territory a god has, the more wishes the god grants to their respective agent.
- Shinta's first wish grants him and Isana the Red String of Fate. They use it as a rope to bind, hit, and block their opponents.
- Shinano's first wish grants him strengthend hands to chop off beer bottle necks; he uses the bottle necks as a range attack. He can also practically just use his strengthend hands to attack his opponents directly.
- Kasama's first wish grants him an Anti-Theft Safe that he can use to attack and trap his opponents, it can also be used to protect himself. The greedier he gets the more powerful it is.
- Mirei's first wish grants her the power to control whoever looks into her eyes.
- Sakura's tenth wish grants a large scarecrow. The scarecrow's power is when at least a strand of hair of the opponent is inserted into it, the opponent is put into a nightmare that causes physical damage.
- Invisible to Normals: Gods are invisible to humans unless they are agents. Isana is visible due to Shinta's wish.
- Loophole Abuse: Technically, it is a major foul for the human agent to strike the opponent's god-partner in a battle. Shinata got around this by "accidentally" hitting the enemy god while in a rage. He then repeated it several times over.
- Love at First Sight: Sano for Mirei Ayanokouji.
- Love Goddess: Isana is the goddess of marriage. Ironically though she admits she has very little knowledge of marriage.
- Magically Binding Contract
- Martial Arts Uniform: Shinano, Omitake the god of might's agent, wears one due to his wish being "the strongest karate master" (even though he really isn't).
- Meganekko: Tsubaki Mitsumine and Mirei Ayanokouji
- Opaque Nerd Glasses:Mirei
- Miko: Isana's smaller girl form looks like one.
- Red String of Fate: The 1st wish power Shinta has with his contract with Isana. It's size varies depending on each others' feelings for one another; Shinta's side size is large that it is wrapped around his wrist and Isana's side size is just tied to her pinkie finger.
- Shapeshifting: Isana can shapeshift from her titanic sealed form to a girl around Shinta's age.
- Sizeshifter: She can shrink her titanic form so she can sit on the couch.
- Short Title: Long, Elaborate Subtitle: The series' full title is "Gan Kon: My Wife is a Beautiful God!"
- Shrines and Temples: Every 100 years, the gods have a competition for territory. Smaller territories are shrines while larger ones are akin to temples.
- "Silly Me" Gesture: Isana does it after giving strange descriptions of her true form to Shinta then telling him that she lied and actually can't remember.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Tsubaki
- TV Never Lies: Shinano believes that it takes a karate master to break the top of beer bottles.
- Years Too Early: Mirei tells Sano that he is 100 years too early to confess.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Isana's contract form's hair is teal-ish.