Fuan no Tane
A crowd of people in a place where inexplicably strange people roam.... This is a scene that will stay in your mind.
You shouldn't feel that you must always welcome every visitor who comes to you.
("Seeds of Anxiety") is a horror manga which contains many unrelated short, surreal and often nightmarish short stories.
Tropes appearing in Fuan no Tane:
- Adult Fear: A little girl playing hide and seek is led by another child to a secret hiding place, where, the mysterious child reassures her, no one will ever find her.
- Two little girls walking home from school are followed my a creepy man holding a pair of scissors. Then one of the girls' ears falls off.
- Black Comedy: Rare, but it does come up. The most notable example is a man arming himself against an intruder, opening the door, seeing a horrible corpse-faced ghost on his doorstep... and the ghost stares at him, apologizes for coming to the wrong house, and vanishes awkwardly through the wall, leaving the man deeply confused.
- The Blank: See Nightmare Face.
- Cliff Hanger: Often.
- Ear Ache: A girl in an early chapter of volume 1 complains of one. Then it falls off.
- Enfant Terrible: i'm a baby. please... hug me. please. i promise i won't bite
- Exact Words: They will never find you here.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: It can apparently abduct people.
- Malevolent Masked Men: The bag-headed man is unnerving partially because of the misshapen face drawn on the bag, and partially because whatever is under the bag is not quite human-shaped. Come on! Let's play!◊
- Nightmare Face: Many a full-page panel reveals a distorted or otherwise horrific face.
- No Ending: Naturally, most of the stories end with nothing resolved and the monsters/ghost still unexplained. If the protagonist is lucky, they'll get off with just a horrible scare or fairly minor injury.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Ochonan!
- Nothing Is Scarier
- Oh Crap
- Rule of Scary: A giant face staring in the window? People made of straw? Just accept it.
- Scary Teeth: A pretty girl in an elevator eating a bouquet of flowers.
- Spiritual Successor: to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, kind of. Short stories accompanied by freaky illustrations.
- Spooky Photographs: One looks ordinary, but is kind of unsettling and a girl who notices it acts possessed and tries to kill one of the other viewers. Another has a weird face in the background that no one except the photographer can see... and then it starts to talk.
- Surreal Horror
- Urban Legend: Similar tone and settings, but wholly original.