Former vampire hunter
Kuroe Kurose is leading a very different life these days; despite vampires having killed his Hunter sister and accidentally granting him immunity to their glamour; he happened upon a young girl named Misaki who had been freshly turned into a vampire. Settling down and becoming a novelist and private investigator
, he has adopted her and is trying to help her from succumbing to the Enemy Within
This manga contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: The body-snatcher is immobilized by being turned into a vampire with a permanent broken neck; then left in an abandoned basement.
- Awesome McCoolname: ...seriously, Kuroe Kurose? ("Kuro" means "black".) That's like naming someone Darke McDark. It is revealed to be a name he was "allowed" to take by his teacher.
- Badass and Child Duo: Kuroe, a badass Vampire Hunter who has taken in tween Misaki, an unawakened vampire girl whose vampire hunter parents were killed by vampires who then turned her into one.
- Body Surf: Early on Kuroe and Misaki face a human who can steal bodies of those near him when he dies.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Kuroe wasn't quite to this level with his sister, but it was close.
- Child Soldiers: Maria, who was trained by vampires to be an assassin.
- Enemy Within: A very common trait of vampires within the series. Though said person can have a nice personality it's an inevitable fact that the monster within them will surface, just depends how long it'll take.
- Mr. Fanservice: Kuroe "Tall dark and bishy" Kurose. Also Higure in a Shotacon kind of way. Blood Alone is technically a Seinen manga but may actually have a higher female than male readership.
- Failure Knight: Kuroe is haunted by his failure to save his sister from vampires; Misaki reminds him very much of her.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampires: Misaki's "vampire self" hasn't even awoken yet, Sly was changed by Orphans (those without a clan) so hates them and helps Kuroe out, and while it's likely that Higure has Offstage Villainy; he has been nothing but helpful to Misaki.
- Gender-Blender Name: Kuroe's name is actually a romanization of 'Chloe', because he's inherited the powers of Chloe the magician.
- Gay Vampire: Higure is rather fond of his bishounen Renfields; nothing outright is stated; but he does like having them snuggle him. He also enjoys hitting on Kuroe; and while his being a vampire elder means he's dangerous, his being gay isn't demonized.
- Heroic RROD: Misaki's Enemy Within surfacing a lot quicker the closer to true death she is. It (her vampire side) warns Kuroe of this after she nearly killed by a body snatching murderer.
- The Hunter: Kuroe's old profession, these days he's more on the True Neutral path, since having a peaceful co-existence with the local Vampire Elder is beneficial for Misaki.
- The Obi-Wan: Kuroe was taught to be a Kung-Fu Wizard by his Sensei; a mage dressed in a Victorian London style Black Funeral Gown who can Stealth Hi/Bye, and was apparently named Chloe. He refers to her as "The Lady" and other vampires call her "Sinistre Femme" or "The Woman With A Forbidden Name"
- Doubles as Sexy Mentor. Just see the beginning of Volume 6.
- Older Than They Look: Naturally, when dealing with vampires, but Higure the local Vampire Elder looks like a child the same age as Misaki.
- Our Vampires Are Different: ...but apparently not that different. They are remarkably like the ones from Vampire: The Masquerade. Sunshine is actually a weakness, surprisingly. It is commented that they're mostly imported from Europe. One major difference is that it takes a while for the Enemy Within to kick in; it's accelerated should a vampire get injured.
- Reluctant Monster: Misaki is a complete innocent.
- The Renfield: They are actually called "Renfields", servants to vampires who are given vampire blood. This generates a feeling of love and obedience.
- Maria gets adopted by Higure, and he's a perfect gentleman who simply tells her that she's now part of the family. He doesn't attempt to control her will at all. Of course, she's not really his taste...
- Supernatural Martial Arts: Kuroe and his sister know a form of "magic martial arts" that let's them fight vampires.
- Undead Child: Both Higure and Misaki so far have been friendly; Higure is competent; but he reveals that ultimately all undead turn into monsters. It's just a question of how many centuries it takes.
- Vampire Detective Series: It's not Kuroe who is the vampire, but it's definitely the genre.