Manga: Betrayal Knows My Name
aka: Uragiri Wa Boku No Namae Wo Shitteiru
Betrayal Knows My Name
is a Shoujo
manga by Odagiri Hotaru, serialized in Monthly Asuka and distributed by Yen Press. Known as Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru
in Japan. An Anime adaptation by JC Staff
aired in 2010 and can be watched on Crunchyroll for free.
Abandoned at birth, Sakurai Yuki grew up in an orphanage where he led a relatively normal life for fifteen years, despite strange recurring dreams and a mysterious ability to sense others' emotions when touching them. However, he soon finds himself unable to control this ability as it grows stronger over time, and it ends up causing several problems with the people around him.
One day, the head of the Giou clan arrives at the orphanage and claims to be his older brother. Yuki suddenly finds himself the target of monstrous beings called Duras when he is saved by a hauntingly beautiful stranger named Zess. Swept into a battle between powers he doesn't understand, Yuki must learn the truth about his past and his destiny in order to survive.
This manga contains examples of:
- All-Star Cast: Like woah. Check out the trivia section for more info.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Hotsuma and Shuusei briefly in episode 13.
- Badass: Luka again. Sometimes he's also a Badass Longcoat depending on what he's wearing that day.
- The Beautiful Elite
- Big "Shut Up!": In episode one, Uzuki does a big shut up to Yuki.
- In episode five, a little girl remembers her mom screaming, "Shut up!" before hitting her.
- Hotsuma does this to Yuki when the latter expresses concern for him.
- Bishōnen: Basically everyone is a bishonen in this series, but most notable are Shuusei and Kuroto, who are outright stated to be such by other characters. Of course, Luka is a given.
- Bishonen Line: Low level Duras are lumbering CG beasts, Mid-villains are humanoid, while Opast, the highest level of the Duras, are inhumanly beautiful.
- Bloodsplattered Innocents: In episode 4, Yuki gets some of Zess's blood on his face after Zess is stabbed by Uzuki, who is being controlled by a Duras.
- Breaking Speech:
- Ashley gives one to Hotsuma in episode 12. He falls for it, giving her an opportunity to knock him out.
- the Big Bad Reiga, and Yuki's best friend Kanata, gives a few of these to Yuki and his friends in episode 13.
- Broken Pedestal: Kanata is Yuki's childhood friend who grew up with him in the orphanage. Yuki considers him to be like an older brother figure and looks up to him. However, as it turns out, Kanata is actually the Big Bad Reiga who tried to kill Yuki's friends numerous times.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: As stated above.
- Catapult Nightmare: Kuroto, episode 19.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: Yuki does this to Zess in episode 3.
- The Clan: The Giou Family.
- Clothing Damage: Shuusei gets a good deal of the front of his shirt ripped up as a result of being subjected to torture by Ashley. And while fighting, Ashley leaves a few tears in Hotsuma's clothing with her metal claw-like weapon.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Ashley does this to Shuusei in episode 10, via sticking long thin needles into a Shusei voodoo doll, making Shusei bleed and scream in agony.
- Compressed Adaptation: Several important scenes were reduced with some important dialogues eliminated.
- The discussion between Hotsuma and Shuusei in episode 14 was shortened. In the manga, they really explain to each other how they feel about the incident that produced Shuusei's scars, but in the anime they talk about the issue for about 20 seconds.
- Shiori is the girl who is in love with Hotsuma at school. In the manga she has a big important part in the plot for more than one chapter. She barely appeared in the anime.
- Conspicuous CG: The animal version of the Duras, mostly, as well as the rose petals.
- Creepy Doll: In Episode 9, Ashley always seems to be carrying one around with her and uses them to attack people.
- Custom Uniform: The General Classes Duras and Reiga.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Dramatic Shattering: Reiga does this deliberately with a wine glass in episode 7.
- Dysfunction Junction: Just about everyone has some sort of Dark and Troubled Past, or major personal issues stemming from their Dark and Troubled Past.
- Evil Tastes Good: Elegy keep licking her lips while talking to Luka during a fight.
- Fangs Are Evil: Ashley, Elegy and Cadenza.
- Fainting: Yuki faints in episode 11 due to exhausting himself from healing Tsukumo.
- Furo Scene: With males only and lots of Fanservice, in episode 8.
- After episode 15, Takashiro, who was always dressed in discreet dark suits, spent most of his time dressed in a light yukata or naked in his big pool.
- Get Out: In episode 6, Yuki screams this while giving a Cooldown Hug to a girl possessed by a demon.
- The Glomp: Touko is fond of doing this to Yuki.
- And hilariously, Tachibana tries to do this to Yuki upon meeting him. However, Luka pulls Yuki out of the way before Tachibana can hug him.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Inverted - Tsukumo does the shooting, and Touko has the BFS.
- Hellish Pupils: Luka, Elegy and Cadenza. It seems to be an Opast feature.
- Luze, Luka's younger twin brother.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Every Zweilt Guardian and their partner. Although the heterosexual part is debatable.
- Inaction Sequence: Oh, so many. Everybody in this show just talks too much.
- I Love the Dead: Ashley plays with this trope in episode 10 when she puts Shuusei in a permanent sleep and whispers in his ear, "I knew you'd make a beautiful corpse. You're part of my collection now. You'll never wake up again...," while caressing his face and chest.
- Incest Subtext: Touko and Tsukumo are rather... close. One moment that stands out is when the two of them switch neckties (which at least one other work has this being a sign of dating), and Tsukumo holds Touko's tie to his lips. Also, the female members of Tsukumo's fanclub view Touko as a rival, despite knowing they are siblings. Make of that what you will.
- Taken Up to Eleven in chapter 36 where they are shown sleeping in the same bed together... with Tsukumo's arms around Touko... and with Touko in very skimpy clothing.
- Not to mention Tsukumo's disappointment in not having been married to Touko in any of their past lives. Add that to Shuusei asking why Touko and Tsukumo were always siblings after they were discussing the possibility of a marriage between the two of them (Shuusei and Touko) and the sad look on Touko's face. Yeah, even the others know something's going on between the siblings. Or should be.
- Little "No": Yuki gives one upon finding out that his best friend Kanata is actually the Big Bad Reiga.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Takashiro Giou, Kanata Wakamiya, and Isuzu Fujiwara. Also Luze, Luka's younger twin brother.
- Lucky Translation: The Japanese word for "betrayal" is "uragiri" (literally, "a cut in the back"), making "backstab" the perfect equivalent.
- Mark of Shame: "Brand Zess".
- Major Injury Underreaction: In episode 4, Zess's response to getting stabbed in the chest with a BFS and bleeding all over the ground is to smile softly at Yuki and say, "I'm fine."
- Mind-Control Eyes: In episode 5, a little girl gets these when possessed by a demon.
- Motif: The entire series has a thing for roses and crosses.
- Pinky Swear: Tsukumo and Touko do this in episode 10.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Uzuki to Yuki in episode 2. "You're a nuisance. I hate your goody two-shoes, know-it-all act. I'm not your friend. I felt bad for you, so I thought I'd try being nice, but you misunderstood. No one needs you."
- Reincarnation: Played with, somewhat. Yuki's past self was actually female. He also does not have any memory of his past life unlike the others, apart from snippets viewed in dreams.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: They have a Spell Book called the Key of Solomon and the Tome of Eldritch Lore called the Key of Raziel. Summoned creatures have names like Fenrir and Nidhogg and Luka's familiar is named Sodom.
- The Reveal: Kanata is Reiga. Or not.
- Say My Name: Hotsuma does this when Shuusei is discovered to be missing. Complete with some Gray Rain of Depression.
- Takashiro does this with Yomi's dead body on his arms in episode 17.
- Practically everyone in the Giou household/stronghold does this with Yuki's name, with varying levels of intensity, but Luka especially. Yuki himself is prone to calling Luka, Kanata, and Sodom.
- The Scream: Shuusei does this in episode 10 as Ashley tortures him via a voodoo doll.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Everybody remembers their past lives except for Yuki, who, apparently, chose to forget everything due something that happened. This makes him oblivious to Luka's real feelings. Poor Luka, he suffers in silence, because it was Yuki's choice.
- Sleep Cute: In episode 5, Yuki wakes up to find Luka sleeping on his shoulder.
- Taking the Bullet: Takashiro does this in episode 13, taking some ice spears that Reiga had thrown at Yuki.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Luka.
- Kanata (Reiga) counts, too. So does Luze, Luka's younger twin brother.
- Tears of Fear: Yuki, during episode 13, when his best friend Kanata reveals himself as Big Bad Reiga and Takashiro sacrifices himself when Reiga tries to kill Yuki with ice spears.
- Technicolor Eyes: Luka and Elegy have silver eyes, Cadenza has red/amber eyes. Luze, Luka's younger twin brother, has purple eyes.
- The Thing That Goes Doink: Giou's second mansion have one (in the middle of a HUGE bamboo forest that works as their "private garden").
- This Is Unforgivable!: Ashley yells this in episode 12 because Hotsuma ruined her clothes during their fight.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Yuki does this in episode 2 while in the rain after being told rather harshly by the guy he thought was his friend that no one needs him.
- Uzuki does this in episode 4 while depressed and wondering why someone like him is still alive.
- Hotsuma in episode 10 when Shusei goes missing.
- Unfortunate Names: Sodom is an... interesting name for a character in a series full of Ho Yay. You know, biblical references and all.
- Hotsuma's sword being named "Master Stroke" may also result in inappropriate giggling.