Tamiya and ToonoAwkward Silence
or Bukiyou na Silent
is a Boys Love
genre manga by Takanaga Hinako, author of many other popular yaoi
series such as The Tyrant Falls in Love
and Little Butterfly
. . It was started in 2004 and first serialised in Be X Boy. It now stands complete at three volumes.Poor communication kills
... or at least makes relationships a little more difficult than usual.Toono Satoru
is a mostly expressionless boy who has a crush on popular Baseball player Tamiya
. He spends most of his time shut away in the art room at school drawing him and never for a moment thinks that his crush would ever be anything more than one sided... until Tamiya asks him out. Inwardly Toono is thrilled but it doesn't show on his face.
It requires endless patience on Tamiya's part just to not give up on him, and incredible effort on Toono's just to get his feelings across.
It received an English publication in 2012 by SuBLime
, both digitally and in paperback.
This manga provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Satoru refers to Sagara as "Yuu-chan".
- Being Personal Isn't Professional: Sagara tried to warn Kagami off with this.
- Berserk Button: Tamiya is usually a relaxed and cool-headed guy, however, if someone tries to steal Satoru away from him, he will attack them and let his Crazy Jealous Guy out.
- Bi the Way: Kagami
- Childhood Friends: Satoru and Sagara.
- Coitus Ensues: At the end of each chapter.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Tamiya is this to Satoru, he has gotten jealous by Sagara just referring to Satoru by his first name. When Kagami makes an advance on Satoru, when he believed Satoru was in love with Sagara, Tamiya's reaction is to pull Satoru out of Kagami's grip, kick Kagami, and declare aloud that Satoru is his.
- Cry Cute: Satoru.
- Emotionless Girl: Toono's mother - clearly he takes after her.
- Though only appearance-wise. They're both quite emotional, but it doesn't show on their faces.
- Fainting: When Toono makes a long speech, he suffers a combo sort-of Corset Faint and Emotional Faint because he is so unused to speaking for long periods of time that he completely runs out of breath and nearly asphyxiates.
- French Maid Outfit: Machida wears one for her class's Maid Cafe
- First Name Basis: Sagara (Yuuji) and Toono call each other Yuu-chan and Satoru. Toono's boyfriend Tamiya is jealous before Satoru tells him he can call him Satoru and Tamiya tells him to call him Keigo.
- Generic Cuteness: As is typical in Yaoi manga.
- Genki Girl: Machida Yukari
- Green-Eyed Monster: Happens a lot.
- High School: The setting for the entire manga.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Toono's obliviousness make's him this in Tamiya's eyes.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me
- Luminescent Blush: Toono, but only during sex. Tamiya wishes he'd show his emotions that easily at other times.
- Maid Cafe: Machida's class does this for the culture fair.
- The Matchmaker: Both Toono and Tamiya try this with the Kagami and Sagara Yuu.
- The Not-Love Interest: Machida.
- Official Couple: Tamiya and Satoru. Kagami and Sagara are in the works at becoming one, but seem to be the Beta Couple.
- One Head Taller: Toono and Tamiya and Sagara and Kagami.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Sagara Yuu meets up with Toono again years after he moved away, however, they only see each other as almost brothers and neither have romantic feelings for the other.
- The Quiet One: Toono is small, cute and very shy.
- School Festival: Complete with its very own Cosplay Café! (Their class did a Haunted House the previous year.) It also has the effect of completely exhausting Toono after he ends up put on the organisation committee before he has a chance to say no.
- Seme: Tamiya and Kagami.
- Shrinking Violet: Toono.
- "Shut Up" Kiss
- Silent Bob: Toono.
- Sprouting Ears: In the Doggy and Kitty Ears special. Tamiya's a dog and Toono's a cat, and alternate between looking like the animals normally would and looking like their normal selves only a Little Bit Beastly.
- Stalker with a Crush: Alternative Character Interpretation for Toono. The guy has fourteen notebooks filled with sketches of Tamiya playing baseball. In the manga, it comes off as more sweet than stalkerish - the art club room does happen to look over the baseball pitch, after all - but it's still a bit weird.
- The Stoic: Toono.
- Not So Stoic: Toono will have an expressionless face no matter what he's feeling, but he is prone to have a Luminescent Blush whenever Tamiya says something flirty or perverted, and he has cried on a few occasions.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Toono and his mother.
- Student Council President: Kagami.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Sagara, who only really shows his warm side to Toono.
- Kagami sends him into full on Tsundere mode, though.
- This and That: One of the few ways Toono can fully express his emotions.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Toono and Tamiya are the Official Couple, and Machida is the friend they're initially both jealous of, before they find out she already has a boyfriend.
- Uke: Satoru and Sagara.
- Understanding Boyfriend: Until Sagara showed up again, Tamiya was the only person who could read Toono's moods and wasn't put off by his blank expression.
- Your Size May Vary: Satoru at the start of the manga is only slightly shorter than Tamiya (bottom left panel), however, later once the manga-ka settled in with the art, Satoru is significantly shorter than Tamiya (bottom panel).