Tropey The Wonder Dog! Howya doin' boy? Whoosagoodboy? That's right, you are! What's that, Tropey? We're here to talk about something? Oh, we're here to talk about tropes that use a metaphorical dog like yourself? And Timmy's fallen in the well? You want us to bury him with rocks? Sounds like a good idea to me! Good boy! Now lets play some Basketball!
- Adopt the Dog: Someone who was neither good nor bad does something nice and then joins forces with the good guys.
- Dog-Kicking Excuse: Someone can't bring themselves to be mean, so they try to look for some excuse to be mean to the person or animal they're being mean to, often a reason to be angry.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: A slightly more literal case than most, but still falls under Tropey's purview. This is when the Big Bad is someone you least expect.
- Pet the Dog: Someone does something nice just for the heck of it, which lets the viewer/reader know they're a good person.
- Kick the Dog: Somebody does something mean purely randomly to set them up as a baddie.
- Kick the Morality Pet: A good guy is starting to turn evil but feels guilty when they accidentally hurt or offend someone they care a lot about.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Someone is mean to another person, who's known for being a meanie in general, but the "kicker" didn't know the person they were mean to was also mean and had malicious intent.
- And Your Little Dog, Too!: The villain threatens the protagonist and also a friend of theirs, who's completely innocent.
- The Dog Bites Back: Someone the villain was mean to decides that they've had enough and is mean back to the villain or at least helps defeat them.
- Bait the Dog: The writers set the villain up as being kind of cool, but then make them do something evil so you'll stop liking them.
- Poke the Poodle: Someone is too nice to do something mean, so they do something ludicrously minor instead and pass that off as evil.
- Shoot the Dog: A character does something that could be seen as immoral because they have to.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: An adventure that is rendered moot when it ends.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: A "Shaggy Dog" story where, not only does it end up being pointless, but someone dies for a senseless reason.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Something good happens to someone who's generally unlucky.
- Even the Dog Is Ashamed, Dog Dies at the End, Eat the Dog, Microwave the Dog, Scare the Dog, Post-Apocalyptic Dog and so on are merely friends of Tropey, as their dogs are less metaphorical. And then there's Tropey, Come Home and Old Dog, which are as literal as it gets. Not to be confused with This Index Barks, which is about real dogs. (Make the Dog Testify is borderline; while the "Dog" in question does not have to be a Canine, it does have to be an animal, and it usually is a Canine.)